Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st> on 2000/09/01 13:37:53 UTC

RE: Aha! got it! 64k limit(was: new version of the sql logicsheetunder development)

> Only XSP that used DOM directly (AND WE TOLD YOU NOT TO DO IT!) will be
> hard to port, anything else will be piece of cake.

Oh, oh! Nobody told _me_! Our JavaBeans produce DOM elements
and we insert them via XSP! So this is no longer possible in
Cocoon2??
--
Torsten

Re: Aha! got it! 64k limit(was: new version of the sqllogicsheetunder development)

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Jeremy Quinn wrote:

> >> Oh, oh! Nobody told _me_! Our JavaBeans produce DOM elements
> >> and we insert them via XSP! So this is no longer possible in
> >> Cocoon2??
> >
> >No, that's different.
> >
> >What I mean is to play around with the internal DOM objects from inside
> >the xsp:logic sections. This is -not- goint to be portable because there
> >will be no more DOM object to play with since C2 uses SAX internally.
> >
> >Hope this is clear enough.
>
> OK, as an example, at the moment FP TagLib adds Attributes to the parent
> Element of the FP Tag (to report action/failure). This behaviour will not
> be possible under Cocoon 2, correct?

if you use the "correct" <xsp:attribute> this is already possible and
portable.

> The Element that the TagLib hands back to XSP however, will be handled.
> Is this right?

If you use <xsp:element> and <xsp:attribute> both are supported.

If you use DOM calls in your <xsp:logic> section this will NOT be
portable.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Aha! got it! 64k limit(was: new version of the sql logicsheetunder development)

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
At 00:25 +0200 02/09/00, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>Torsten Curdt wrote:
>>
>> > Only XSP that used DOM directly (AND WE TOLD YOU NOT TO DO IT!) will be
>> > hard to port, anything else will be piece of cake.
>>
>> Oh, oh! Nobody told _me_! Our JavaBeans produce DOM elements
>> and we insert them via XSP! So this is no longer possible in
>> Cocoon2??
>
>No, that's different.
>
>What I mean is to play around with the internal DOM objects from inside
>the xsp:logic sections. This is -not- goint to be portable because there
>will be no more DOM object to play with since C2 uses SAX internally.
>
>Hope this is clear enough.

OK, as an example, at the moment FP TagLib adds Attributes to the parent
Element of the FP Tag (to report action/failure). This behaviour will not
be possible under Cocoon 2, correct?

The Element that the TagLib hands back to XSP however, will be handled.
Is this right?

Thanks

regards Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre

   <ma...@mac.com>     		 <http://www.media.demon.co.uk>
    <phone:+44.[0].20.7737.6831>        <pa...@sms.genie.co.uk>

Re: Aha! got it! 64k limit(was: new version of the sql logicsheetunder development)

Posted by Giacomo Pati <Gi...@pwr.ch>.
On Sun, Sep 03, 2000 at 03:34:51PM +0200, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> be
> > >
> > > Oh, oh! Nobody told _me_! Our JavaBeans produce DOM elements
> > > and we insert them via XSP! So this is no longer possible in
> > > Cocoon2??
> >
> > No, that's different.
> >
> > What I mean is to play around with the internal DOM objects from inside
> > the xsp:logic sections. This is -not- goint to be portable because there
> > will be no more DOM object to play with since C2 uses SAX internally.
> >
> > Hope this is clear enough.
>
> Well, in our clean page example based site we do:
>
>  <xsl:template match="selection">
>   <xsl:copy>
>    <xsl:copy-of select="*|@*"/>
>    <xsp:logic>
>     {
>     myBean q = new myBean();
>     q.get();
>     xspCurrentNode.appendChild(q.toXML(document));

Instead of the line above you write something like:

   dom2sax(this.contentHandler, q.toXML());

(why do you need a document as parameter to toXML? As a factory?)

>     }
>    </xsp:logic>
>   </xsl:copy>
>  </xsl:template>
>
> So in C2 there is no xspCurrentNode since is SAX based, right?!
> Can you think of a way of porting this functionality? Donald
> wrote something about a DOM2SAX converter...

Giacomo

                                          Web:   http://www.pwr.ch

RE: Aha! got it! 64k limit(was: new version of the sql logicsheetunder development)

Posted by Ed Staub <es...@mediaone.net>.
I believe that in this narrow case, you _could_ just emit SAX events, since
you're appending to the current node.

I wonder what folks think about doing this.
Is it dangerous?
Is it bypassing Cocoon in a way which will likely lead to future
incompatibility?

-Ed Staub

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Donald Ball wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Torsten Curdt wrote:
>
> > > Only XSP that used DOM directly (AND WE TOLD YOU NOT TO DO IT!) will be
> > > hard to port, anything else will be piece of cake.
> >
> > Oh, oh! Nobody told _me_! Our JavaBeans produce DOM elements
> > and we insert them via XSP! So this is no longer possible in
> > Cocoon2??
>
> if you're using <xsp:expr> to include the DOM elements, you _should_ be
> fine - it's only if you're manipulating the internal xsp DOM objects
> directly that you'll need to mess with anything.

This is correct and you *are* fine.

> if for some reason, the XSP impl. for cocoon2 does _not_ let you include
> DOM objects via <xsp:expr>, i'll personally patch it so that it does.
> there are enough DOM2SAX convertors lying around that it would be
> absolutely inexcusable for us not to allow people to call libraries that
> return DOM objects.

Agreed, we'll make sure that if you return an XObject this will be
intepreted correctly by the XSP page.

Ricardo, is anything like this in place for C2 yet?

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Torsten Curdt wrote:

> > Only XSP that used DOM directly (AND WE TOLD YOU NOT TO DO IT!) will be
> > hard to port, anything else will be piece of cake.
>
> Oh, oh! Nobody told _me_! Our JavaBeans produce DOM elements
> and we insert them via XSP! So this is no longer possible in
> Cocoon2??

if you're using <xsp:expr> to include the DOM elements, you _should_ be
fine - it's only if you're manipulating the internal xsp DOM objects
directly that you'll need to mess with anything.

if for some reason, the XSP impl. for cocoon2 does _not_ let you include
DOM objects via <xsp:expr>, i'll personally patch it so that it does.
there are enough DOM2SAX convertors lying around that it would be
absolutely inexcusable for us not to allow people to call libraries that
return DOM objects.

- donald