Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by "Hollstein, Mathias" <ma...@destatis.de> on 2014/03/24 11:43:30 UTC

Apche 2.4 docs /wr to CVE-2014-0098 log_cookie directive

Hello everyone,

after reading CVE-2014-0098 ([L1]) one of my colleagues came up with the
conclusion that "log_cookie" function in file "mod_log_config.c" is not
used in Apache 2.4 anymore.

However the documents ([L2]) are somehow not reflecting the codebase
([L3]) as far as I can see. The SVN repository clearly indicates the
code actually does exist.

Now I ask my self whether the official documentation is wrong (missing
CookieLog Directive for "current") or the code is deactivated somehow. I
also ask myself whether the CVE applies to Apache 2.4 or not at all. So
far all certs worldwide tell me/us so but the documents do not reflect
that. During apache test we receive "Invalid command 'CookieLog',
perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server
configuration". But again, it's in the SVN code repository.

Your help is appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

[L1] http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2014-0098
[L2] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_log_config.html
[L3]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/loggers/mod_log_config.c?r1=1575394&r2=1575400&diff_format=h

Kind regards

Mathias Hollstein
______________________
Mathias Hollstein

Referat BIT II 5 (Wiesbaden)

Telefon: +49 (0) 611 75 2549
Telefax: +49 (0) 611 72 4000

Email: Mathias.Hollstein@bva.bund.de
Email: mathias.hollstein@destatis.de

Internet: www.bundesverwaltungsamt.de
          www.bit.bund.de
          www.destatis.de

Re: Apche 2.4 docs /wr to CVE-2014-0098 log_cookie directive

Posted by "Hollstein, Mathias" <ma...@destatis.de>.
Hello Eric,

a thousand thanks for your replies! They pointed me/us into the right
direction and therefore we can handle things much better now. Believe me
- we really had a situation here.

Keep up with the good work and I hope we'll have a chat again soon! :]

Best regards

Mathias
______________________

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Hollstein, Mathias" <ma...@destatis.de>.
Hello Eric,

so I can safely assume that when using "%{VARNAME}C" for .e.g. like
(below) it does the trick/causes serious pain to me?

# CustomLog with format nickname
LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{mycookie-name}i\"" common
CustomLog logs/access_log common

Can I also assume the documents (current) are perfectly fine since
"CookieLog Directive" does not have to be specified anymore like
"CookieLog 'filename'", but the imply is active "automagically" and can
be used like described above?

So this essentially mean I have to go through the configs and look for
such \"%{mycookie-name}i\" statements, right?

A "yes, yes, yes" to all questions would cause me relief. Thanks in
advance! :D

Best regards

Mathias Hollstein

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.