Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Alberto Chiusole <al...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/05 19:32:46 UTC

Small mistake (?) in doc about HA with Journal Nodes

Hi all,
I'm Alberto Chiusole, an Italian computer science student and
open-source fan.
I'm currently performing a small research to expose to my fellow
students the Hadoop project, and this is my first post in this ML.

I think I spotted I small mistake in the HDFS documentation regarding
achieving HA with the Quorum Journal Manager [1], section "Hardware
resources", paragraph "JournalNode machines": it's stated:
"""
The JournalNode daemon is relatively lightweight, so these daemons may
reasonably be collocated on machines with other Hadoop daemons, for
example NameNodes, the JobTracker, (...)
"""

Is "NameNodes" a typo and you meant "DataNode" instead? Aren't the
JournalNodes meant to survive in case of a failure of the NameNodes? Why
should I place a JournalNode on the same machine that contains the log I
need to synchronize?

Moreover I have a quick question on the same topic: why do you suggest
to place an odd numbers of machines as JournalNodes in order to increase
the Fault Tolerance?

Regards,
Alberto Chiusole

[1]:
https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/HDFSHighAvailabilityWithQJM.html#Hardware_resources

Re: Small mistake (?) in doc about HA with Journal Nodes

Posted by Ravi Prakash <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alberto!

The assumption is that *multiple* machines could be running the Namenode
process. Only one of them would be active, while the other Namenode
processes would be in Standby mode.

The number of machines is suggested to be odd so that its easier to form
consensus. To handle the failure of k machines, 2k+1 is usually the number
of QJMs you'd need.

HTH
Ravi