Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by wi...@gmail.com, wi...@gmail.com on 2015/09/08 21:49:33 UTC

Textshapes

Working with a text document, on the "Gallery" page, under "New Themes" you have an item called "Textshapes."  I wanted to learn how to put text inside of one, BUT THERE IS NO ITEM CALLED "TEXTSHAPES" IN YOUR "HELP" INDEX!  It seems to me that EVERY term that appears in your menus should be somewhere in the HELP index!

Sent from my LG Optimus G Pro™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Re: Textshapes

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.

On 09-Sep-15 07:18, Susan Wilgus wrote:
> You evidently do not know what I am talking about.  The term on the Open
> Office Text Document  page is TEXTSHAPES, all one word.  They appear to be
> shapes that cannot have text inserted, which is what I was trying to do.  I
> don't know what their function is, but none of the articles that appeared
> when I Googled the words you gave me has anything to do with them.  My
> comment was that ALL terms that appear in an Open Office toolbar should be
> able to be found somewhere in your Help Index.  The term TEXTSHAPES not
> only does NOT appear in your Help Index - it does not appear ANYWHERE on
> the internet!  Why are you using a term in a toolbar that evidently does
> not exist?

It exist on the internet:
http://www.openoffice.org/api/docs/common/ref/com/sun/star/drawing/TextShape.html
http://sofia.cs.vt.edu/sofia-2114/api/reference/sofia/graphics/TextShape.html

I agree it should exist also in the help file and documentation.
As OpenOffice and the documentation is a non commercial product build
and maintained by volunteers
updates depend on the number of volunteers that are willing to invest
time and effort.
If you have some spare time feel free to take on this task.

By the way if you copy a Textshape into Draw you're able to insert text.
The result can be copied into a Word document.
Don't ask me why text can't be inserted in a Word document, it's
probably a bug

Re: Textshapes

Posted by Dave Barton <db...@tasit.net>.
Hi Susan,

I believe what you are referring to is the (somewhat oddly named)
"/Textshapes Theme/" in the clipart "/Gallery/" (Illustrated in the
screen capture below.)

A small selection of these clipart themes are included with the
installation package, but they are not an integral part of the software
itself. Which is why you had difficulty searching for information. The
"/Gallery/" is in it's default position a "/docked/" window, and the
"/themes/" appearing within it are not toolbar buttons. In fact there is
an option in the Gallery's own toolbar to switch the display from an
icon like appearance to a form of list viewing. (See illustration above.)

Sorry if you were mislead by the misnomer of this theme, but it only
contains basic clipart images just like any other. However, it is
possible to overlay text on top of these, or any other images, inserted
into a Writer document. (Illustrated in the screen capture below.)

I have attached a small example document to demonstrate one way of
creating this kind of overlay.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Re: Textshapes