Posted to user@openmeetings.apache.org by aa...@gmail.com on 2018/11/01 13:19:43 UTC

OM5 possible enhancements

Since it is being worked on now just a few possible enhancements for the
next major release if they are achievable to further improve the product
over its current base.

In Administration:  Allow selection of what gets used as the display name

                Currently when the user enters the chat their display is
First name / Last Name.  I think this would be better if configurable

Current:  First Name / Last Name

Option 1:  First Name / Last Initial

Option 2: Username

I my uses there is a need for anonymity where the username which is
non-descriptive should be used instead of the users real identity.

Interactive Whiteboard:  Currently still "images"

When a Word or PDF file is uploaded that contains hyper-links it is just an
"image" of the document.  It would be nice to make those documents that
contain hyperlinks, etc. to be able to interact with them.

Undock able Screen Share:  (Not sure if possible)

Currently if you have a user using a small screen such as a laptop and they
open up screen sharing that new window covers up a large portion of the
whiteboard (depending on the whiteboard being displayed) as well as the
cameras.  It would be nice (if possible) to make the new window undockable
so it can be moved anywhere on the screen.  Right now if you want to place
it over the top portion of the chat or the user list it goes behind the chat
object.  Possible to bring that one to the front or be able to move it
outside of the workspace all together.  While a user could minimize the
user/chat panels, they may could miss something.

Just some thoughts on some things, as I am sure there are more as this is
just based on my current usage of the product, as I am sure there are other
usage cases that have different needs.

Re: OM5 possible enhancements

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello Aaron,

Thanks for your ideas :)
1) Is covered by https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENMEETINGS-1851
        JIRA states the setting should be "per room", not sure yet how this
can be implemented
2) Something like this is requested here
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENMEETINGS-1904
        Could you please add your idea as comment?
3) The only way to implement it is to introduce popup-window ... no-one
like them :(
     Could you file JIRA?

Currently I'm implementing recordings and screen-sharing for OM5,
Will try to take a look at OPENMEETINGS-1851, as soon as I'll have free time

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax