Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/09 16:48:51 UTC

[DRAFT][REPORT] Status report for the Apache Commons Project December 2013

Hi All:

Please let me know if you have any feedback or corrections ASAP.

Thank you,
Gary
--
Status report for the Apache Commons Project December 2013

The Commons is an Apache project focused on all aspects of reusable Java
components.

Apache Commons components are widely used in many projects, both within
Apache and without.

There are no issues that require board attention at this time.

Overall project health is good with six releases this period, including the
long anticipated [pool] 2.0 and [collections] 4.0. The [csv] component is
still inching towards 1.0 releases and [imaging] is very close to 1.0 as
well.

Releases:

   - Apache Commons JCI 1.1 on 2013-10-14
   - Apache Commons Email 1.3.2 on 2013-10-23
   - Apache Commons Compress 1.6 on 2013-10-26
   - Apache Commons Configuration 1.10 2013-10-27
   - Apache Commons Pool 2.0 on 2013-11-11
   - Apache Commons Collection 4.0 on 2013-11-24

The mailing list and JIRA activity is good, most support issues get timely
replies, and development discussions are positive. One of the recurring
topics is migration from Subversion to Git, the current plan is to try this
with one component, [cli]. Another discussion is how to reflect component
liveliness into the site and what to do with mostly inactive components. To
this end, the main page lists the version and latest release date for each
component. Another recurring theme is when and how to update the dated look
and feel of the site; the current thinking here is to use the Fluido skin.
A perennial concern is how to attract new developers, one proposal is to
better integrate our processes with git and GitHub.

The following new committers have joined us:

   - Ate Douma (ate) on 2013-10-14
   - Woonsan Ko (woon_san) on 2013-10-14

There are no new PMC members.

The PMC changed its chair from Luc Maisonobe to Gary Gregory. The Commons
community is grateful for Luc’s service.

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [DRAFT][REPORT] Status report for the Apache Commons Project December 2013

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all for your input. I have submitted our report to the board (in
foundation/board/board_agenda_2013_12_18.txt)

Gary

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
Try this:

http://commons.markmail.org/

Adrian Crum
Sandglass Software
www.sandglass-software.com

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <lu...@spaceroots.org>.
Le 09/12/2013 19:20, Gary Gregory a écrit :
> On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

>> stats
>>
>>> <http://pulse.apache.org/#commons.apache.org>
>>
>> Ahh, sorry, just saw that page doesn't seem to get updated anymore.
>>
>> Moderators can request a list of subscribers via the -list mail command.
>>

> Can the moderator post this info here please? I tried and got rejected

I am a moderator for the list and also got rejected.

Luc

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for the corrections. I do not see how to get mailing list stats
out of ezmlm.

Gary

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All:

Hi Gary,

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
It looks good to me.

Emmanuel Bourg

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Benedikt Ritter <be...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> Nice report, thanks for the work. Two things that may be worth mentioning:
>
> - IRC channel has been set up on freenode - currently low activity there
> - discussion about the StackOverflow open source adverts, and that we are
> currently unsure whether we are allowed to use the commons logo.
>
> In addition to csv and imaging, lang is close to the next release (which
> will be 3.2), and BeanUtils 1.9.0 RC 1 is currently being reviewed.

Duly noted, thank you.

Gary

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gary,

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > On Monday, December 9, 2013 10:49 AM, Gary Gregory <
> garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi All:
> >
> > Please let me know if you have any feedback or corrections ASAP.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Gary
> > --
> > Status report for the Apache Commons Project December 2013
>
> <snip>
>
> > The following new committers have joined us:
> >

> >    - Ate Douma (ate) on 2013-10-14
> >    - Woonsan Ko (woon_san) on 2013-10-14
>
> My Apache (SVN) ID is woonsan, not woon_san. :-)

Corrected. TY!

Gary

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com>.