Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/21 02:55:53 UTC

[VOTE] Release Commons Chain 1.2 based on RC1

I would like to do a bug fix release of Commons Chain - mainly to
release the fix for CHAIN-33[1] - which hit a Struts user recently
(see STR-3143[2]) - but there are a few other bug fixes as well
  [1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CHAIN-33
  [2] https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/STR-3143

The artifacts are here:
http://people.apache.org/~niallp/chain_1_2_RC1/

SVN Tag:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/chain/tags/CHAIN_1_2_RC1/

Site:
http://people.apache.org/~niallp/chain_1_2_RC1/site/
(note m2 generates relative links, so some don't work - but the site
is for info and not included in the release artifacts)

Release Notes:
http://people.apache.org/~niallp/chain_1_2_RC1/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
http://people.apache.org/~niallp/chain_1_2_RC1/site/changes-report.html

RAT Report:
http://people.apache.org/~niallp/chain_1_2_RC1/site/rat-report.html

CLIRR Report:
http://people.apache.org/~niallp/chain_1_2_RC1/site/clirr-report.html

RC2 has been built with m2 - but m1 and ant builds are available - details here:
http://people.apache.org/~niallp/chain_1_2_RC1/site/building.html

Note: Chain is targetted at JDK 1.3, but I built with JDK 1.5 because
of the issue with m2 and JDK 1.4 - but I have tested on JDK 1.3 and
JDK 1.4 using m1 and JDK 1.5 and JDK 1.6 using m2

Vote is open for 72 hours

Thanks in advance for your feedback/votes.

Niall

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Chain 1.2 based on RC1

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 2:09 AM, Niall Pemberton
<ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> Not sure if this should be regarded as a problem or not, but I get a
>> test failure when using IBM Java:
>>
>> java version "1.6.0"
>> Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build pwi3260-20071123_01)
>> IBM J9 VM (build 2.4, J2RE 1.6.0 IBM J9 2.4 Windows XP x86-32
>> jvmwi3260-20071121_15015 (JIT enabled)
>> J9VM - 20071121_015015_lHdSMR
>> JIT  - r9_20071121_1330
>> GC   - 20071031_AA)
>> JCL  - 20071118_01
>>

>>    [junit]     Caused an ERROR
>>    [junit] org.apache.commons.chain.impl.ContextBase$MapEntryImpl
>> incompatible with java.util.HashMap$Entry
>>    [junit] java.lang.ClassCastException:
>> org.apache.commons.chain.impl.ContextBase$MapEntryImpl incompatible
>> with java.util.HashMap
>> $Entry
>>    [junit]     at java.util.HashMap.writeObject(Unknown Source)
>>    [junit]     at
>> java.io.ObjectStreamClass.invokeWriteObject(ObjectStreamClass.java:957)
>>    [junit]     at
>> java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeSerialData(ObjectOutputStream.java:1473)
>>    [junit]     at
>> java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeOrdinaryObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:1404)
>>    [junit]     at
>> java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(ObjectOutputStream.java:1162)
>>    [junit]     at
>> java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:338)
>>    [junit]     at
>> org.apache.commons.chain.impl.ContextBaseTestCase.testSeriaization(ContextBaseTestCase.java:368)
>>    [junit]
>> Target 'internal-test' failed with message 'Test
>> org.apache.commons.chain.impl.ContextBaseTestCase failed'.
>>
>> I've no idea why this error occurs, as the code in question says:
>>     "private class MapEntryImpl implements Map.Entry"
>
> :(
>
>> There are some errors that Findbugs finds:
>>
>> org.apache.commons.chain.impl.ContextBase is Serializable; consider
>> declaring a serialVersionUID
>>
>> Quite a few of these too:
>> Non-serializable value stored into instance field of a serializable class:
>> e.g.
>> org.apache.commons.chain.web.portlet.PortletApplicationScopeMap stored
>> into non-transient field PortletWebContext.applicationScope
>> org.apache.commons.chain.web.portlet.PortletParamMap stored into
>> non-transient field PortletWebContext.param
>>
>> Looks like the serialization tests are not picking these up.
>>
>> If no-one has reported any related problems then perhaps these
>> particular classes are never serialized.
>
> It has been raised:
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CHAIN-12
>
> "they subclass ContextBase and inherit the "implements Serializable"
> contract, but they cannot in fact be serialized because they wrap
> container objects (request, response,context) that are not
> serializable"
>
> ...and we don't have a solution for it - so no fix.

btw Struts 1.3.x uses these, but they only exist for the lifespan of a
request - which I assume is why we don't see loads of complaints about
this.

Niall

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Perhaps the Serializations should be looked at. Most web app servers
serialize all their info out when restarting.

+1 on the release, btw

Paul

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 5/21/08, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > +0
>  >
>  > We should upgrade all of our own dependencies to the latest ones when
>  > making releases, as far as possible. Especially the bottom tier ones
>  > like logging  (in this case, to 1.1.1, which contains good number of
>  > fixes over 1.0.4). As indicated by my vote, I don't consider this to
>  > be a blocker.
>

> OK, but its disappointing if thats the only thing that caused you to
>  vote +0 rather than +1.

<snip/>

Sigh, didn't mean to disappoint. FWIW, I've tried to say similar
things for a while [1].

-Rahul

[1] http://people.apache.org/~rahul/commons/DependencyCheck.html

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Chain 1.2 based on RC1

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +0
>
> We should upgrade all of our own dependencies to the latest ones when
> making releases, as far as possible. Especially the bottom tier ones
> like logging  (in this case, to 1.1.1, which contains good number of
> fixes over 1.0.4). As indicated by my vote, I don't consider this to
> be a blocker.

OK, but its disappointing if thats the only thing that caused you to
vote +0 rather than +1.

I've updated the logging dependency in trunk so that if I have to cut
another RC then it'll be sorted - but I'm still hoping this vote will
pass.

Niall

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
+0

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
This vote is cancelled, I'll prepare an new RC shortly to fix some of
the issues Rahul and Sebb raised.

Thanks for the feedback

Niall

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 7:42 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  > Not a blocker, but some incorrect SVN props:
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  > svn pd svn:executable build.properties.sample
>>  >>  > svn pd svn:executable build.xml
>>  >>  > svn ps svn:eol-style native
>>  >>  > src/test/org/apache/commons/chain/web/ChainResourcesTestCase.java
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >> Thanks - fixed in the trunk:
>>  >>  http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=658574
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>  >>  Site:
>>  >>  >>  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/chain_1_2_RC1/site/
>>  >>  >>  (note m2 generates relative links, so some don't work - but the site
>>  >>  >>  is for info and not included in the release artifacts)
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>  Release Notes:
>>  >>  >>  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/chain_1_2_RC1/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>>  >>  >>  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/chain_1_2_RC1/site/changes-report.html
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>  RAT Report:
>>  >>  >>  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/chain_1_2_RC1/site/rat-report.html
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>  CLIRR Report:
>>  >>  >>  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/chain_1_2_RC1/site/clirr-report.html
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>  RC2 has been built with m2 - but m1 and ant builds are available - details here:
>>  >>  >>  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/chain_1_2_RC1/site/building.html
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>  Note: Chain is targetted at JDK 1.3, but I built with JDK 1.5 because
>>  >>  >>  of the issue with m2 and JDK 1.4 - but I have tested on JDK 1.3 and
>>  >>  >>  JDK 1.4 using m1 and JDK 1.5 and JDK 1.6 using m2
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  > Ant build works fine on Java 1.4.2, but using Java 1.3.1 I get
>>  >>  > problems with Ant 1.6.0, 1.6.5 and 1.7.0.
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  > M1 1.0.2 works OK on Java 1.3.1
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  > So it looks like there is a problem with the Ant file.
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >> OK, if I get time I'll dump the maven generated ant build and add a proper one.
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>  > It would be nice if this could be fixed, but if not, then the build
>>  >>  > instructions should be updated to mention the restriction.
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >> OK, but not a blocker for this release, right?
>>  >
>>  > The Ant problem is not a blocker, so long as the build instructions
>>  > are updated accordingly.
>>

>> OK well we disagree then.
>>

> I just meant that the website should be updated before it is published.

Ah OK - will do

> I think the site is not a formal part of the vote, so it can be
> updated independently?

Yes

Niall

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
> [...]
>>  >>  Note: Chain is targetted at JDK 1.3, but I built with JDK 1.5 because
>>  >>  of the issue with m2 and JDK 1.4 - but I have tested on JDK 1.3 and
>>  >>  JDK 1.4 using m1 and JDK 1.5 and JDK 1.6 using m2
>>  >>
>>  >
>>  > Ant build works fine on Java 1.4.2, but using Java 1.3.1 I get
>>  > problems with Ant 1.6.0, 1.6.5 and 1.7.0.
>>  >
>>  > M1 1.0.2 works OK on Java 1.3.1
>>  >
>>  > So it looks like there is a problem with the Ant file.
>>

>> OK, if I get time I'll dump the maven generated ant build and add a proper one.
>>

>>  > It would be nice if this could be fixed, but if not, then the build
>>  > instructions should be updated to mention the restriction.
>>

>> OK, but not a blocker for this release, right?
>
> The Ant problem is not a blocker, so long as the build instructions

OK well we disagree then.

Niall

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.