Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by John Belli <JA...@rtelectronics.com> on 2006/02/10 23:38:32 UTC

assertion failed svn cp URL->URL

I was trying to rearrange a branch, and I ran into this bug (on Win XP). I
didn't see anything similar in the issue tracker.

C:\> md foo

C:\> svnadmin create foo

C:\> svn mkdir file:///foo/bar -m "mkdir bar"

Committed revision 1.

C:\> svn mkdir file:///foo/bar/baz -m "mkdir bar/baz"

Committed revision 2.

C:\> svn ls --recursive file:///foo
bar/
bar/baz/

C:\> svn rm file:///foo/bar -m "deleted bar"

Committed revision 3.

C:\> svn cp -r2 file:///foo/bar/baz file:///foo/bar -m "resurrect bar/baz as
bar"
Assertion failed: ! svn_path_is_empty (path), file
C:\Home\brane\src\svn\releases\subversion-1.3.0\subversion\libsvn_client\cop
y.c, line 214

way.

C:\> svn --version
svn, version 1.3.0 (r17949)
   compiled Jan 15 2006, 23:18:48

It's prefectly possible to resurrect it with a different name and then
rename it:

C:\> svn cp -r2 file:///foo/bar/baz file:///foo/bar_ -m "resurrect bar/baz
as bar_"

Committed revision 4.

C:\> svn mv file:///foo/bar_ file:///foo/bar -m "renamed bar_ to bar"

Committed revision 5.

--
John Belli, Programmer
Refrigerated Transport Electronics, Inc.

Re: assertion failed svn cp URL->URL

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
John Belli wrote:
> I was trying to rearrange a branch, and I ran into this bug (on Win XP). I
> didn't see anything similar in the issue tracker.
>
> C:\> md foo
>
> C:\> svnadmin create foo
>
> C:\> svn mkdir file:///foo/bar -m "mkdir bar"
>
> Committed revision 1.
>
> C:\> svn mkdir file:///foo/bar/baz -m "mkdir bar/baz"
>
> Committed revision 2.
>
> C:\> svn ls --recursive file:///foo
> bar/
> bar/baz/
>
> C:\> svn rm file:///foo/bar -m "deleted bar"
>
> Committed revision 3.
>
> C:\> svn cp -r2 file:///foo/bar/baz file:///foo/bar -m "resurrect bar/baz as
> bar"
> Assertion failed: ! svn_path_is_empty (path), file
> C:\Home\brane\src\svn\releases\subversion-1.3.0\subversion\libsvn_client\cop
> y.c, line 214

Verified on Linux with svn trunk.  Thanks for reporting it, and for giving a
full reproduction recipe.  We should be able to fix this bug.

- Julian

Re: assertion failed svn cp URL->URL

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> On 2/10/06, John Belli <JA...@rtelectronics.com> wrote:
>
>>C:\> svn cp -r2 file:///foo/bar/baz file:///foo/bar -m "resurrect bar/baz as bar"
>>Assertion failed: ! svn_path_is_empty (path), file
>
> Thank you for the bug report.  This is an edge case you get when you
> copy from a deleted directory to a prefix of its old URL, I'm working
> on a fix, but I need to figure out how to make it work without
> breaking some other edge cases (specifically copying into the root of
> the repository).

Just to round off the thread, Garrett fixed this bug (issue #2503) in r18451.

(You know how frustrating it is when you're searching a mail archive and the
thread you're interested in just fades out.)

- Julian

Re: assertion failed svn cp URL->URL

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 2/10/06, John Belli <JA...@rtelectronics.com> wrote:
> I was trying to rearrange a branch, and I ran into this bug (on Win XP). I
> didn't see anything similar in the issue tracker.
>
> C:\> md foo
>
> C:\> svnadmin create foo
>
> C:\> svn mkdir file:///foo/bar -m "mkdir bar"
>
> Committed revision 1.
>
> C:\> svn mkdir file:///foo/bar/baz -m "mkdir bar/baz"
>
> Committed revision 2.
>
> C:\> svn ls --recursive file:///foo
> bar/
> bar/baz/
>
> C:\> svn rm file:///foo/bar -m "deleted bar"
>
> Committed revision 3.
>
> C:\> svn cp -r2 file:///foo/bar/baz file:///foo/bar -m "resurrect bar/baz as
> bar"
> Assertion failed: ! svn_path_is_empty (path), file
> C:\Home\brane\src\svn\releases\subversion-1.3.0\subversion\libsvn_client\cop
> y.c, line 214
>
> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
> way.

Thank you for the bug report.  This is an edge case you get when you
copy from a deleted directory to a prefix of its old URL, I'm working
on a fix, but I need to figure out how to make it work without
breaking some other edge cases (specifically copying into the root of
the repository).

-garrett