Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Johan Barelds <ma...@good-it.com> on 2004/11/14 17:06:46 UTC

SA 3.01 + DCC + Pyzor

Hi all,

I have been upgrading to SA 3.01 this weekend and i am impressed by the amount
of spam it stops! Great job!

At this moment i use the SuSE 9.2 distro.
I noticed that DCC and Pyzor are broken if beeing called from SA.
(Nov 14 17:00:07 beast dccproc[4795]: missing message body; fatal error)

I also read the docu from SA3.01 and found this:
--
There is an issue if you run spamd using the standard perl installation
on Mac OS X and certain *BSD-flavored UNIX platforms.  spamd will change

Question: is this the cause that DCC and Pyzor won't run wit SA3.01 on
SuSE9.2?
If this is so i can hardly believe that i have to change my version of perl in
order to get it working!
Isn't there some sort of patch coming up to solve this?
Thanks for your replies on this matter.

--
Kind Regards / Met vriendelijke groet,

Johan Barelds		Good-IT!
Tel.+31(0)70-3965230	Strijplaan 320
Mob.+31(0)6-54253750	2285 HZ  Rijswijk(ZH)
j.barelds@good-it.com	http://www.good-it.com

Re: SA 3.01 + DCC + Pyzor

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
At 05:06 PM 11/14/2004 +0100, Johan Barelds wrote:
>At this moment i use the SuSE 9.2 distro.
>I noticed that DCC and Pyzor are broken if beeing called from SA.
>(Nov 14 17:00:07 beast dccproc[4795]: missing message body; fatal error)
>
>I also read the docu from SA3.01 and found this:
>--
>There is an issue if you run spamd using the standard perl installation
>on Mac OS X and certain *BSD-flavored UNIX platforms.  spamd will change
>effective uid to the user calling spamd for security reasons.  Before
>calling out to any external programs (DCC and Pyzor, as of 3.0.0,) spamd
>will fork() and change the real uid to the same as the effective uid.
>Unfortunately, the default perl in at least Mac OS X, does not allow perl
>programs to change the real uid so for security reasons the spamd child
>will die.  To fix this issue, either disable the DCC and Pyzor rules,
>or install a different version of perl which supports setuid() calls.
>--
>
>Question: is this the cause that DCC and Pyzor won't run wit SA3.01 on
>SuSE9.2?

Highly doubtful. SuSE is  Linux-based. It is not a BSD-flavored Unix platform.

(Anything based on the Linux kernel is inherently not based on a BSD
kernel. If it were, it would cease to be Linux.)