Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/12 11:45:46 UTC

LucidWorks for Solr Reference Guide on front page?

Hey gang,

I'd like to put an image and link to our LucidWorks for Solr Certified
Distro Reference Guide on the Solr front page, and wondering if there
were any objections.

To toss out my only objection with my Apache hat on (yes, I'm really
wearing it!), the reference guide isn't strictly about *Apache* Solr,
it's about our distro of it.  So there is just a little bit more than
in the distro (like kstem, tomcat).  But then again, the Packt book*
has more than what's in Solr 1.4 too (localsolr, field collapsing).

Here's a link to our reference guide, that includes the image I'd use
too:
  <http://www.lucidimagination.com/Downloads/LucidWorks-for-Solr/Reference-Guide

If there are no objections, I'll add it sometime this week.

	Erik

* I blogged an extensive, belated, review of the Packt book earlier
today here: <http://www.lucidimagination.com/blog/2010/01/11/book-review-solr-packt-book/

Re: LucidWorks for Solr Reference Guide on front page?

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Jan 12, 2010, at 9:42 AM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
>> I do worry that people will start asking questions about LucidWorks on solr-user@, which I'm not sure is appropriate, so we should monitor that fairly carefully.
>
> IMO, a single community is better than a split community - so
> discussion of LucidWorks on solr-user is actually more appropriate
> than anywhere else (for most of the topics at least).

Agreed about split, but I don't want people to be confused about someone referring to things that are only in the Lucid stuff and then thinking it is part of the main Solr stuff.  I guess we can just handle on a case-by-case basis.

RE: LucidWorks for Solr Reference Guide on front page?

Posted by "Adamsky, Robert" <ra...@techtarget.com>.
Should the certified documentation highlight parts that are features
and augmentations to the default solr distribution?  Not unlike how
documentation calls out '1.4 only'.

Re: LucidWorks for Solr Reference Guide on front page?

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
> I do worry that people will start asking questions about LucidWorks on solr-user@, which I'm not sure is appropriate, so we should monitor that fairly carefully.

IMO, a single community is better than a split community - so
discussion of LucidWorks on solr-user is actually more appropriate
than anywhere else (for most of the topics at least).

-Yonik

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Erik Hatcher wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2010, at 7:09 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>

>> On Jan 12, 2010, at 5:45 AM, Erik Hatcher wrote:
>>
>>> Hey gang,
>>>
>>> I'd like to put an image and link to our LucidWorks for Solr
>>> Certified Distro Reference Guide on the Solr front page, and
>>> wondering if there were any objections.
>>>
>>> To toss out my only objection with my Apache hat on (yes, I'm really
>>> wearing it!), the reference guide isn't strictly about *Apache*
>>> Solr, it's about our distro of it.  So there is just a little bit
>>> more than in the distro (like kstem, tomcat).  But then again, the
>>> Packt book* has more than what's in Solr 1.4 too (localsolr, field
>>> collapsing).
>>
>> It also has other things, though, too.  Like it comes w/ Tomcat and
>> runs on a different port.
>
> It actually doesn't run on a different port currently.  As far as I
> know, our distro is fixed to 8983 at the moment.
And covering a different web container is a plus in my mind - we may
ship with Jetty, but that doesn't mean thats all our documentation
should cover - documentation covering Tomcat or Resin is just as valid
as documentation covering Jetty in my opinion. Just because we choose to
ship with Jetty running the example doesn't give it special status in
regards to what a linked book/ref manual must cover IMO.

--
- Mark

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Jan 12, 2010, at 5:45 AM, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> Hey gang,
>
> I'd like to put an image and link to our LucidWorks for Solr Certified Distro Reference Guide on the Solr front page, and wondering if there were any objections.
>
> To toss out my only objection with my Apache hat on (yes, I'm really wearing it!), the reference guide isn't strictly about *Apache* Solr, it's about our distro of it.  So there is just a little bit more than in the distro (like kstem, tomcat).  But then again, the Packt book* has more than what's in Solr 1.4 too (localsolr, field collapsing).

It also has other things, though, too.  Like it comes w/ Tomcat and runs on a different port.

> Here's a link to our reference guide, that includes the image I'd use too:
> <http://www.lucidimagination.com/Downloads/LucidWorks-for-Solr/Reference-Guide>
>
> If there are no objections, I'll add it sometime this week.

I guess as long as our policy is that everyone who has a book/ref guide (which was stated back in the Packt discussion) gets added (assuming they submit a patch) then I have no objections.  I do worry that people will start asking questions about LucidWorks on solr-user@, which I'm not sure is appropriate, so we should monitor that fairly carefully.

Also, that left hand column is going to start getting cluttered once you add in Lucid's Ref Guide and presumably Otis and Shalin's Solr In Action.  So then people will start saying "why can't my book be on top..."

 I think it may also be worth, with all the books, noting that the ASF/Solr community makes no endorsements about any of the 3rd party guides.

-Grant

Re: LucidWorks for Solr Reference Guide on front page?

Posted by Bill Au <bi...@gmail.com>.
+1.  We should explicitly point out that certain sections (like
installation) apples to LucidWorks and not Apache Solr.

Bill

Posted by Jan Høydahl / Cominvent <ja...@cominvent.com>.
Grant, Eric, thanks for clarifying; being a newbie to ASF I don't know all rules. Understand that commercial page is not an option, and given the exception for documentation, I change my "vote" to +0  -- as if my vote ever counted :-)

Jan

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Høydahl / Cominvent <ja...@cominvent.com>.
On 12. jan. 2010, at 16.27, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> I think it's good to link to outside publications, and it doesn't seem like a
> problem to me that it's a related product.  News snippets linking to magazine
> articles (especially positive reviews early on) are common fare on project
> webpages.

I'm positive to pointing to commercial stuff from the site and wiki, that's
gonna benefit the overall Lucene community.

But why front page, and why as an "ad" with an image? A more neutral, still
prominent placement would be on a new "Commercial" page linked to from the left
menu. Although it's an excellent ref.guide, it clearly is a marketing instrument
for Lucid, one out of a growing number of competitors in this field. There will
be a growing need for more references to other commercial distros, plugins,
documentation and more, and such stuff should have a vendor neutral home.

+1 for a text link from a new "Commercial" page.

-1 for image ad on front page -- (unless the ad is paid and tagged as an ad)

--
Jan Høydahl  - search architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

Re: LucidWorks for Solr Reference Guide on front page?

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: What I might like to know, though, is how other publications might compete for
: this high-value screen real estate.  For news snippets, old content naturally
: rolls off the page as new content gets added, and new content automatically
: gets added at the top.  Would it make sense to adopt a similar FIFO policy for
: a slower-moving left hand column?

Probably.

FWIW: Similar discussions were held about LIA on the Lucene-Java
homepage, not going to repeat all of my comments again...

http://old.nabble.com/LIA2-on-l.a.o-java-OK--to22113879.html#a22167140

-Hoss

Re: LucidWorks for Solr Reference Guide on front page?

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Jan 12, 2010, at 5:45 AM, Erik Hatcher wrote:
>I'd like to put an image and link to our LucidWorks for Solr
>Certified Distro Reference Guide on the Solr front page, and
>wondering if there were any objections.
>
>To toss out my only objection with my Apache hat on (yes, I'm really
>wearing it!), the reference guide isn't strictly about *Apache*
>Solr, it's about our distro of it.

I think it's good to link to outside publications, and it doesn't seem like a
problem to me that it's a related product.  News snippets linking to magazine
articles (especially positive reviews early on) are common fare on project
webpages.

What I might like to know, though, is how other publications might compete for
this high-value screen real estate.  For news snippets, old content naturally
rolls off the page as new content gets added, and new content automatically
gets added at the top.  Would it make sense to adopt a similar FIFO policy for
a slower-moving left hand column?

Marvin Humphrey

Re: LucidWorks for Solr Reference Guide on front page?

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.