Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by vivek sar <vi...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/31 19:59:01 UTC

Merging Solr Indexes

Hi,

  As part of speeding up the index process I'm thinking of spawning
multiple threads which will write to different temporary SolrCores.
Once the index process is done I want to merge all the indexes in
temporary cores to a master core. For ex., if I want one SolrCore per
day then every index cycle I'll spawn 4 threads which will index into
some temporary index and once they are done I want to merge all these
into the day core. My questions,

1) I want to use the same schema and solrconfig.xml for all cores
without duplicating them - how do I do that?
2) How do I merge the temporary Solr cores into one master core
programmatically? I've read the wiki on "MergingSolrIndexes", but I
want to do it programmatically (like in Lucene -
writer.addIndexes(..)) once the temporary indices are done.
3) Can I remove the temporary indices once the merge process is done?
4) Is this the right strategy to speed up indexing?

Thanks,
-vivek

Re: Merging Solr Indexes

Posted by Ning Li <ni...@gmail.com>.
There is a jira issue on supporting index merge:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1051.
But I agree with Otis that you should go with a single index first.

Cheers,
Ning

Re: Merging Solr Indexes

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.