Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Bruno Salgueiro <bs...@sibs.pt> on 2000/02/22 15:37:16 UTC

General questions about Tomcat

Hi to all.

  I am a newbie to Tomcat but I have already worked with JServ a bit and
Apache. There are few questions I would like to post to this mailing
list which are:

  1- If you want to use Tomcat/JServ with Apache+mod_ssl we need to re-
     compile mod_jserv.o with EAPI otherwise the Apache server doesn't
     run or it complains. But to compile mod_jserv we need the JSDK2.0
     and it is not available on the Sun website or java.apache.org.
     Would it be possible to add that link with JSDK 2.0 in the download
     site?

  2- The documentation is extremely poor and to install/configure/run
     Tomcat with Apache is a pain... Is there any documentation
available
     in the "dark side of the site"?

  3- I have already seen the thread about production systems and despite
     the fact that JServ seems to be very well written, the fact is that
     Sun points to the Tomcat effort as the reference implementation, so
     as a company, you have more guarantees with Tomcat than with JServ.
     In this light, can you please give me a possible date for a release
     that might be used in a live system?

  4- Will Tomcat comply with J2EE? If not, which aspects of J2EE will be
     implemented or not (e.g. the deployment process)?

Sorry for the long email but I need some answers to this so that I can
"recommend" the usage of Tomcat internaly?
Bruno Salgueiro       (mailto:bs@sibs.pt)

SIBS - Sociedade Interbancária de Serviços
Rua Soeiro Pereira Gomes, Lote 1, 1600 Lisboa, Portugal

Tel: + 351 21 791 88 33
Fax: + 351 21 793 50 80
http://www.sibs.pt

Esta mensagem foi assinada com certificado MULTIcert.
Para obter o certificado da Autoridade de Certificação
PILOTO MULTIcert dirija-se ao site
            http://www.sibs.multicert.com

"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
                                        --Pablo Picasso

Re: General questions about Tomcat

Posted by Bruno Salgueiro <bs...@sibs.pt>.
Thanks for your reply considering question 1 but when I compile the
source with the apxs of Apache 1.3.11 and try to use the module it
complains saying:

Cannot load (..)/libexec/mod_jserv.o into server:
(..)/libexec/mod_jserv.o: ELF file's phentsize not the expected size

I am using gcc version egcs-2.91.66 and I have no problems compiling
everything else. Do you have a clue on what might be going on?

Regards,

Posted by Bruno Salgueiro <bs...@sibs.pt>.
Continuing the off-topic issue, you can download our CA certificate
at http://www.multicert.com and follow the link that says PILOTO
MULTIcert .
Otherwise the email clients might complain that they don't trust the
certificate and therefore might refuse to show the message.

Well, unfortunately the site is in Portuguese (we are a Portuguese CA so
this makes sense!)...

Current Tomcat on Irix 1.2.2

Posted by Bob Jamison <rj...@lincom-asg.com>.
Since the URLConnection.java bug in 1.2.0 and 1.2.1 on some systems
has that little workaround in WARConnection.java, I thought it would
behoove me to report that it still works on Irix 1.2.2beta and Linux 1.2.2.
These were the two worst violators around here, but they work fine now.

No questions, no gripes, just letting you know!
(Amazing, I know   ;-)

Bob Jamison
LinCom Corp

RE: General questions about Tomcat