Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Matthias Bauer <Ma...@livinglogic.de> on 2001/09/17 10:07:53 UTC

|ANNOUNCE| Struts Workflow Extensions V0.6

Hi all,

my colleague Alexander Lamm and me have implemented an extension to the core
struts framework which provides rudimentary control flow between actions. It has
received some considerable rework since the prior version we published and can
now be configured much more flexible, including multiple parallel workflows.

With its help you can easily (per configuration in struts-config.xml) do the
following:

- prevent the user from hitting the browser's reload and back buttons which can
lead to form resubmission and data inconsistencies

- easy definitions of (what we know from non HTML GUIs as) "modal" dialogs in
struts web applications

- centralized user authentication

- maintenance mode for the whole web application

- and some more...

The file README.TXT which I attached to this mail includes a detailed description.

Ted Husted was so kind to put the code on his Resources Page:
[http://husted.com/about/struts/resources.htm]
 From there it can be downloaded as a .tgz file that includes all the sources
and documentation.

One word to the workflow enhancements that are planned to be incorporated into
Strtus 1.1: Unfortunately I did not have the time to follow the discussions on
struts-dev as closely as I would have liked to do. So I don't know how much of
the concepts are similar. The issue here was: We needed some simple workflow
control for our applications and we needed it now. The planned workflow
extensions, Craig and others are working on are still far from being finished,
because they obviously are intended to be much more generic. So we decided to
implement something that works for us now.

What I want to say is just this: We don't want to compete with the workflow
extensions some other people are currently working on. If you want, you can just
view it as an intermediate solution. And yes, I would like to see some of our
code and concepts be reused for the workflow in Struts 1.1 but don't know if
this makes sense.

In any case: Your feedback is very welcome.

--- Matthias