Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Miguel Bandala <ob...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/23 18:12:33 UTC

Run TomEE as a daemon

Hi, I'm trying to run TomEE as a daemon on Debian Squeeze, I've been trying
lots of times and havent success.
Does anyone knows how to do this procedure step by step.
I've follow this tutorial:
http://openejb.apache.org/unix-daemon.html

but at the end, i got the follow results:

Cannot locate Java Home
The most curious is that I previously "set" the java home with ./configure
--with- java="/usr/lib/jvm/..."
And I really dont know why, I got the result above.

Re: Run TomEE as a daemon

Posted by Miguel Bandala <ob...@gmail.com>.
Thank you very much, I forgot to add that line the script.

Re: Run TomEE as a daemon

Posted by "burghard.britzke" <bu...@charmides.in-berlin.de>.

Re: Run TomEE as a daemon

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Run TomEE as a daemon

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
On 7/23/2012 12:12 PM, Miguel Bandala wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to run TomEE as a daemon on Debian Squeeze, I've been trying

What is TomEE?

Re: Run TomEE as a daemon

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 24, 2012, at 7:17 AM, Christopher Schultz wrote:

> David,
>
> On 7/23/12 8:29 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>> The page can be edited by anyone by clicking the blue pencil icon
>> in the upper right, so contributions are highly encouraged.  All
>> changes are reviewed before going live, so don't worry about
>> messing anything up.
>
> I made an edit to include a link to the commons-daemon documentation
> but figured that "publish site" was an action probably best done by
> someone on the TomEE team ;)

Thanks, Chris!

The online editing for the CMS is still a bit unfriendly.  Hoping to put my Infra hat on and hack on it again at some point.

Anyway, the 'submit' button really just saves and your edit is still in your private sandbox.  Click the edit link on the page again then tack on "?action=mail" and then it will send off the patch.  The url would look something like:

https://cms.apache.org/openejb/wc/diff/dblevins-_Le_Oo/trunk/content/unix-daemon.mdtext?action=mail

The link is only available once you've saved an edit and are presented with the 'successful edit' page, at which point you have to know to click 'Diff' then on the next page click 'Mail Diff'.

It's a work in progress :)

-David

Re: Run TomEE as a daemon

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Run TomEE as a daemon

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 23, 2012, at 2:24 PM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:

> 2012/7/24 Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:
>>
>> On 7/23/12 2:44 PM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>>> See proper Apache Commons-Daemon jsvc documentation, at
>>> http://commons.apache.org/daemon/jsvc.html
>>
>> If the TomEE documentation is incorrect, we should help them correct
>> it. Was this just a knee-jerk reaction to the OP's use of something
>> other than the super-official commons-daemon jsvc documentation, or is
>> there a problem with the TomEE stuff?
>
> It is not "super-official". It is the official one and naturally the
> primary source of information regarding jsvc. The others are partial
> reflections of the original.
>
> The problems with TomEE documentation:
>
> 1) It should properly reference the project, it is *Apache* Commons Daemon.
>
> 2) The "./configure --with-java" phrase in TomEE doc is misplaced.
>
> It is part of the "Building jsvc" step only (to find the C API header
> files in JDK). It should not be in the introductory section - that is
> why OP was fooled. It has nothing to do with running jsvc.
>

> Note, that jsvc doc mentions the following useful options:
> a) the "-home" argument to jsvc can be used to specify location of the
> home directory of JDK/JRE.
>
> b) the option to enable debug-level logging to get more information
> for troubleshooting. IIRC, the debug logging should show what paths
> are tried looking for java executable.

Thanks for the notes!  I've attempted a rewrite of that page using the above feedback:

  http://openejb.apache.org/unix-daemon.html

It may not yet be perfect.  In particular I didn't add the `-home` note -- more because I didn't want to get it wrong.  The page can be edited by anyone by clicking the blue pencil icon in the upper right, so contributions are highly encouraged.  All changes are reviewed before going live, so don't worry about messing anything up.

Thanks again!

-David

Re: Run TomEE as a daemon

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2012/7/24 Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:

> On 7/23/12 2:44 PM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>> 2012/7/23 Miguel Bandala <ob...@gmail.com>:
>>> Hi, I'm trying to run TomEE as a daemon on Debian Squeeze, I've
>>> been trying lots of times and havent success. Does anyone knows
>>> how to do this procedure step by step. I've follow this
>>> tutorial: http://openejb.apache.org/unix-daemon.html
>>>
>>> but at the end, i got the follow results:
>>>
>>> Cannot locate Java Home The most curious is that I previously
>>> "set" the java home with ./configure --with-
>>> java="/usr/lib/jvm/..." And I really dont know why, I got the
>>> result above.
>>
>> See proper Apache Commons-Daemon jsvc documentation, at
>> http://commons.apache.org/daemon/jsvc.html
>
> If the TomEE documentation is incorrect, we should help them correct
> it. Was this just a knee-jerk reaction to the OP's use of something
> other than the super-official commons-daemon jsvc documentation, or is
> there a problem with the TomEE stuff?

It is not "super-official". It is the official one and naturally the
primary source of information regarding jsvc. The others are partial
reflections of the original.

The problems with TomEE documentation:

1) It should properly reference the project, it is *Apache* Commons Daemon.

2) The "./configure --with-java" phrase in TomEE doc is misplaced.

It is part of the "Building jsvc" step only (to find the C API header
files in JDK). It should not be in the introductory section - that is
why OP was fooled. It has nothing to do with running jsvc.

Note, that jsvc doc mentions the following useful options:
a) the "-home" argument to jsvc can be used to specify location of the
home directory of JDK/JRE.

b) the option to enable debug-level logging to get more information
for troubleshooting. IIRC, the debug logging should show what paths
are tried looking for java executable.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Run TomEE as a daemon