Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Yaroslav Chinskiy <Ya...@us.icap.com> on 2005/04/12 23:00:26 UTC

Common logging for java 1.1

Hi,

I want to use jcl with my applet, but it has to support java 1.1

Is there a release that support java 1?

Thank you.

Yaroslav Chinskiy
(212) 815-6524
www.icap.com

The information in this Internet e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.
It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this Internet e-mail by anyone else
is unauthorized and any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted

When addressed to our clients any opinions or advice contained in this Internet e-mail are
subject to the terms and conditions expressed in any applicable documentation or market
practices governing the relationship between the sender  and its clients.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender except where they
are stated to be the views of the company.

Re: Common logging for java 1.1

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 03:18 +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 17:00 -0400, Yaroslav Chinskiy wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to use jcl with my applet, but it has to support java 1.1
> >
> > Is there a release that support java 1?
>
> The standard JCL release supports Java 1.1. It probably doesn't
> *compile* under 1.1, but should run correctly on 1.1. If it doesn't, I
> suggest submitting a bug report.
>
> It's unfortunate that this is not stated clearly anywhere in the JCL
> documentation, and I will submit a patch to fix this.
>
> JCL *might* work on Java 1.0 even, though I don't know if there is any
> real need for this.

Here's a followup to this email:

JCL has been investigated, and it has been found that the 1.0.2 release
accidentally introduced a dependency on java 1.2. This wasn't
deliberate, but won't be easy to undo now without potentially breaking
users of 1.0.2 through 1.0.4 :-(

So for the moment, if you want to use JCl with java 1.1, try JCL release
1.0.1....

Significant debate is going on about the next JCL release, and I'm sure
support for java 1.1 will be considered as part of that.

Regards,

Simon

Re: Common logging for java 1.1

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Yaroslav Chinskiy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to use jcl with my applet, but it has to support java 1.1
>
> Is there a release that support java 1?

Well, I would ask first, if one of the underlying log implementations will
support jdk 1.1. Hopefully it *is* at least one and then you don't need a
wrapper for it ;-)

- Jörg