Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Richard Frovarp <Ri...@ndsu.edu> on 2009/04/01 18:20:53 UTC

Re: lenya xml-diff

Сизeмин Александр wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> My name is Alexander, I'm a student from Russia.
> I'm interested in participating in the Google Summer of Code this year.
> I've found an opened issue "XML Diff for Lenya" and I would like to work on it.
>

> I've made a proposal for solving the issue. It is partly available at my Google docs:
> http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddqshxs2_2dr8428d4
>
> I wonder, if anyone could give me some kind of feedback or advice regarding ways to adjust it.
>
> That will be very helpful.
>
> Thank you,
> Alexander S. Sizemin
Alexander,

Thank you for your proposal. I have noted a few things in your proposal
that could be better addressed to meet what the ASF is looking for in
proposals.

First, you frequently talk about generating a nice UI for the user to be
able to see the differences. I do believe this is key. This display does
need to be something that the average person can understand, which can
be a bit tricky. My guess is this will take a couple of prototypes to
work out with user testing. I should be able to provide some testers for
the system.

The two libraries you mention in step 2 give me pause. Due to ASF
licensing, we can't include GPL libraries with Lenya. You most certainly
can use such libraries for prototyping, but we can't include them in the
project. We do have some functionalities that require the user to
download libraries of other licensing, but that is something that the
community would need to decide on. Since this is an issue, you should
clarify how you plan on getting around the limitation in your proposal.
The second library, diffxml, has a sparse page that is quite old. It
looks like the developer dropped the project. Once again, something like
that is useful for prototyping, but not committed code.

The timeline is a bit sparse. If you could update it to have something
due every 2 or 3 weeks that would be excellent. If you could also
indicate how much time you will have to work on the project and any
conflicts during that time it would be quite helpful to the ASF ranking
process as well.

The inclusion of your resume does help with the process and was a nice
touch. Inclusion in the proposal of Java, XML, and/or UI experience as
it relates to this project would be great. Especially as you have
recognized that presenting this information in an understandable format
is going to be key.

Thank you for your interest.
Richard