Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Iannis Hanen <Ia...@bluejungle.com> on 2005/05/19 03:58:30 UTC

JRE vs. JDK for Tomcat

Hi,

It seems that tomcat requires a JDK (and not only a JRE) to be present
on the physical machine in order to run properly. I am a bit surprised
that a JDK is also required. Is there a way to run Tomcat on top of a
JRE only? How do I setup this?

Thanks,

Iannis

Setting max HTTP header size

Posted by Magnus Hellström <ma...@voxmobili.com>.
Hi,

is it possible to set the max HTTP header size in Tomcat 4.1.31?  In
Tomcat 5 there is a parameter maxHttpHeaderSize for the http connector
but it doesn`t seem to
work for 4.1.31. How do I configure this?

Thanks

RE: JRE vs. JDK for Tomcat

Posted by Lutz Zetzsche <Lu...@sea-rescue.de>.
Hi Vasil,

Vasil Stefanov schrieb:
> Another thing that wander me is that I can run Tomcat 5.5.x on Fedore Core
> with JRE only installed but when I run Tomcat on Windows with JRE
> installed I receive a message that a JDK is required.

Which Tomcat version do you run on Windows? To my knowledge, Tomcat 5.5 is
the first Tomcat version which is able to run with the JRE only. So, if
you run an earlier version on Windows, it will require a JDK.

Best wishes

Lutz

RE: JRE vs. JDK for Tomcat

Posted by George Sexton <gs...@mhsoftware.com>.
If you aren't using JSP, you can change the startup batch file to skip the
test for the full JDK.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/

RE: JRE vs. JDK for Tomcat

Posted by Vasil Stefanov <va...@gmail.com>.

Re: JRE vs. JDK for Tomcat

Posted by Chris <ch...@us-hampton.mail.saic.com>.
> Tomcat used to require javac (the Java compiler from the SDK) in order to
> compile the java code generated from the jsps. Tomcat 5 now comes packaged
> with the jasper compiler, so all you need is the Java 5.0 JRE.

When I tried running 5.5.9 off of the 1.5 jre, it told me that I needed
to have the jdk, not the jre.

Chris

RE: JRE vs. JDK for Tomcat

Posted by Fritz Schneider <Fr...@Peacham.HomeIP.net>.
Iannis,

Tomcat used to require javac (the Java compiler from the SDK) in order to
compile the java code generated from the jsps. Tomcat 5 now comes packaged
with the jasper compiler, so all you need is the Java 5.0 JRE.

fRITZ