Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Jochen Walz <jo...@googlemail.com> on 2023/05/31 11:31:30 UTC

Frameworks dropping OSGi support

Hello,

Recently, some frameworks have dropped support for OSGi/Karaf in their latest versions (CXF 4.0, Vaadin 24.0), because some of their dependencies are no longer supported. E.g., servlet 6.

I know that we still have some time left before older versions run out of support (March 24 for Vaadin 23, at least when you don't have a commercial license). Anyways: does anybody have a crystal ball which tells how that story will go, i.e., when OSGi and Karaf will be ready to regain support by these frameworks?

Thanks & Regards,

Jochen

Re: Frameworks dropping OSGi support

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Sorry I missed the answer from Greg :)

I second obviously :)

Regards
JB

Posted by Jochen Walz <jo...@googlemail.com>.
Hello Grzegorz,

So, in short: some big chunks of work in progress (or yet to be started)
in different places.

Thanks for the detailed answer! With this, it is at least clear where to
look at for checking the progress.

Regards

Jochen

Posted by Grzegorz Grzybek <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hello

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Jochen,

That's a fair question.

OSGi group is working on the OSGi version of the spec as part of the
cmpn scope. In the past, we also wrapped some specs in ServiceMix
Specs bundle.

So, even if it's long process, there are several works around the
specs that will help CXF, Vaadin, etc.

Regards
JB