Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Jorge Esteban Quilcate Otoya <qu...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/11 22:04:14 UTC

[VOTE] KIP-171 - Extend Consumer Group Reset Offset for Stream Application

Hi All,

It seems that there is no further concern with the KIP-171.
At this point we would like to start the voting process.

The KIP can be found here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-171+-+Extend+Consumer+Group+Reset+Offset+for+Stream+Application

Thanks!

Re: [VOTE] KIP-171 - Extend Consumer Group Reset Offset for Stream Application

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the KIP Jorge, overall it looks good.

As Matthias mentioned in the DISCUSS thread, while working on KIP-198 we
realize that the o.a.k.admin.AdminClient does not yet have all the
functionalities that k.a.AdminClient (in Scala) have, for example,
describeConsumerGroup().

Thus, could you rebase your work in (
https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/3831) and have people start reviewing
it while we keep this voting thread open, in case you found that we may
overlook some functionalities that the new Java AdminClient may not have
yet and hence may need to introduce the old Scala client?

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [VOTE] KIP-171 - Extend Consumer Group Reset Offset for Stream Application

Posted by Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io>.
I like Colin's suggestion for the longer term. If you don't provide
--dry-run or --execute, then the command will prompt you.

-Jason

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <ma...@confluent.io>.
Thanks for clarification Colin!

I like the proposal.

-Matthias

On 3/3/18 2:53 PM, Colin McCabe wrote:
> I agree. --execute is inconsistent with the way UNIX commands normally work.  Normally, if you don't want something to be executed, you pass something like a --dry-run flag.  Users expect a command to be run when the run it... that's the reason why this has created so much confusion for Kafka users.
>
> I certainly don't think we should add an --execute option for any other commands.  I was just suggesting that we could have a transitional period when running this particular command command without --execute would prompt the user, and then do the operation if they agreed.  After a few releases, we can remove the prompt and make this consistent with the other commands.
>
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2018, at 14:44, Matthias J. Sax wrote:
>> I agree on consistency, too.
>>
>> However, I am not sure if we should introduce an explicit --execute
>> option. Anybody familiar with Linux tools will expect a command to
>> execute by default.
>>
>> Thus, I would suggest to remove --execute for all tools that use this
>> option atm.
>>
>> Btw: there is a related Jira:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1299
>>
>> Furthermore, this also affect arguments like
>>
>> --bootstrap-servers
>> vs
>> --broker-list
>>
>> and maybe others.
>>
>> IMHO, all tools should use the same names. Thus, it's a larger change...
>> But totally worth doing it.
>
> Yeah.  This is another case where we could have a transitional period.  Support both the old and the new flag for a while, then transition to the new flag.
>
> best,
> Colin
>

>> -Matthias
>>
>> On 2/26/18 10:09 AM, Guozhang Wang wrote:
>>> Hi Jorge,
>>>
>>> I agree on being consistent across our tools.
>>>
>>> Besides the kafka-consumer-groups and kafka-streams-application-reset, a
>>> couple of other classes to consider adding the --execute options for the
>>> next major release:
>>>
>>> 1. kafka-preferred-replica-elections
>>> 2. kafka-reassign-partitions
>>> 3. kafka-delete-records
>>> 4. kafka-topics
>>> 5. kafka-acls
>>> 6. kafka-configs

Posted by Stephane Maarek <st...@simplemachines.com.au>.
Bootstrap servers vs broker list is the biggest hurdle when teaching to
beginners. A standardized set of parameters would incredibly help

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <ma...@confluent.io>.
I agree on consistency, too.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jorge,

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [VOTE] KIP-171 - Extend Consumer Group Reset Offset for Stream Application

Posted by Jorge Esteban Quilcate Otoya <qu...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Yup, agreed.

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [VOTE] KIP-171 - Extend Consumer Group Reset Offset for Stream Application

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Guozhang,

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [VOTE] KIP-171 - Extend Consumer Group Reset Offset for Stream Application

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
Perhaps, if the user doesn't pass the --execute flag, the tool should print a prompt like "would you like to perform this reset?" and wait for a Y / N (or yes or no) input from the command-line.  Then, if the --execute flag is passed, we skip this.  That seems 99% compatible, and also accomplishes the goal of making the tool less confusing.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Posted by Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Jorge Esteban Quilcate Otoya <qu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Damian Guy <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the KIP - +1 (binding)

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [VOTE] KIP-171 - Extend Consumer Group Reset Offset for Stream Application

Posted by Bill Bejeck <bb...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
+1