Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2005/07/22 13:48:38 UTC

apr-util and iconv failure on solaris v2.8

Hi all,

After building subversion v1.2.1 against apr-util v1.1.2, the subversion
binary refuses to run, failing like so:

bash-2.03$ /usr/local/bin/svn --helpld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/svn: fatal:
relocation error: file /usr/local/lib/libaprutil-1.so.0: symbol
libiconv_open: referenced symbol not found
Killed

Some digging finds that the symbol libiconv_open is referenced from
apr-util, but apr-util does not link to any library that provides iconv.

The ./configure script searches for and detects the inconv.h header files
correctly, but nowhere does the ./configure script try and add an -liconv
to the LDFLAGS, thus the problem:

bash-2.03$ /usr/local/bin/apu-1-config --libs
 -lldap -ldl -lpthread -ldb-4.2 -lexpat

Unless I am missing something obvious, I cannot see how apr-util ever
worked on Solaris, unless it was linking to an iconv providing library by
accident.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Regards,
Graham

Re: apr-util and iconv failure on solaris v2.8

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Joe Orton wrote:

> #28854, still lacking config.log + configure output + reporter sanity
> check as to why you're building libiconv on a Solaris box (which has a
> perfectly good iconv implementation in libc) ;)

It does? This is very odd then - as the default built of apr-util didn't
include -liconv (as you say it should not be necessary), but the symbol
was not found in libc.

Will investigate this some more on monday when I have access to the
machine again.

Regards,
Graham

Re: apr-util and iconv failure on solaris v2.8

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.
On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 01:48:38PM +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
> After building subversion v1.2.1 against apr-util v1.1.2, the subversion
> binary refuses to run, failing like so:
>
> bash-2.03$ /usr/local/bin/svn --helpld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/svn: fatal:
> relocation error: file /usr/local/lib/libaprutil-1.so.0: symbol
> libiconv_open: referenced symbol not found
> Killed

#28854, still lacking config.log + configure output + reporter sanity
check as to why you're building libiconv on a Solaris box (which has a
perfectly good iconv implementation in libc) ;)

joe