Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Brian Schwark <bs...@aci-hq.com> on 2002/12/13 22:25:29 UTC

[SOLUTION] - NullPointerException with SunRise

Hello everyone -

As some of you may remember, I was attempting to implement
authentication using SunRise in Cocoon 2.0.3CVS atop Tomcat 4.1. I was
receiving a nullPointerException error upon trying to logout after
authentication and creation of a new session.

Since posting to the list, I have had several other people mail me
asking if I had found a solution to the issue. I apologize to those who
emailed me directly, I would have preferred a more personal reply, but
a recent loss of my emails left me without your addresses.

The problem seems to reside with SunRise's interaction with JDK 1.4.1.
In trying to nail down the issue, I tested various versions of Cocoon
and Tomcat atop both JDK 1.4.1 and JDK 1.3.1 on two different
platforms: Windows 2000 SP2 and MacOS X 10.2. In short, authentication
worked beautifully when my implementation was run on either Tomcat 4.1
or Tomcat 4.1.12 with either Cocoon 2.0.3CVS or Cocoon 2.0.4 release on
a system running JDK 1.3.1. If any combination of Cocoon and Tomcat
were used on either system using JDK 1.4.1, the logout (and in some
cases, login) would fail with a nullPointerException.

Below is a more detailed chart of my tests and results for the sake of
thoroughness:

JDK 1.4.1 / Cocoon 2.0.3 CVS / Tomcat 4.1 / Win2k SP2 : Null pointer on
logout
JDK 1.4.1 / Cocoon 2.0.3 CVS / Tomcat 4.1.12 / Win2k SP2: Null pointer
on login
JDK 1.4.1 / Cocoon 2.0.4 release / Tomcat 4.1.12 / Win2k SP2: Null
pointer on login

JDK 1.4.1 / Cocoon 2.0.4 release / Tomcat 4.1.12 / MacOS X 10.2.2: Null
pointer on login

JDK 1.3.1 / Cocoon 2.0.4 release / Tomcat 4.1.12 / MacOS X 10.2.2:
Success, no problems

JDK 1.3.1 / Cocoon 2.0.4 release / Tomcat 4.1.12 / Win2k SP2: Success,
no problems

Based on the results above, I have come to the conclusion that
sunRise's interaction with JDK 1.4.1 is broken in some way. 1.4.1 was a
no-go across two different platforms, while 1.3.1 worked flawlessly
across both the same platforms.

I hope this may help others out, and if anyone has any insight into why
sunRise may not "play nice" with JDK 1.4.1, it is welcomed. Conversely,
I would be interested to hear from people who have gotten sunRise to
run without any issues on JDK 1.4.1.

Many thanks,
Brian Schwark
bschwark@aci-hq.com

Re: [SOLUTION] - NullPointerException with SunRise

Posted by Brian Schwark <BS...@aci-hq.com>.
Ilfrin -

Interesting, indeed. I was offered the same advice previously as well, and
it didn't yield any results; the lack of other suggestions made me dig a
little deeper and start to swap Tomcat/Cocoon/OS combos. :)

The common thread in failure was JDK 1.4.1, using the same implementation
across every combination. This same implementation experiences no trouble
if I simply run JDK 1.3.1. (The implemenation I speak of is the tutorial
located on Matthew Langham's weblog, followed step for step.)

-Brian Schwark
bschwark@aci-hq.com

Posted by ilfrin <il...@box43.pl>.
Hi,

13 dec 2002, 22:25:29:

BS> Hello everyone -

BS> I hope this may help others out, and if anyone has any insight into why
BS> sunRise may not "play nice" with JDK 1.4.1, it is welcomed. Conversely,
BS> I would be interested to hear from people who have gotten sunRise to
BS> run without any issues on JDK 1.4.1.

well after a while spent on various searches (and researches) my gold
combination is (I work on WinXP Pro):

1. JDK 1.4_01 as well as 1.4.1_01
2. Cocoon 2.0.3 (release) as well as 2.0.4 (release)

everything works perfectly (at least the /sunspotdemo exapmle portal
works fine (logging in, logging out)) UNDER THE FOLLOWING CIRCUMSTANCES:

primo: tomcat has to be installed and run as a WinNT service
secondo: you have to do a little jar-swap-trick before you give it a
         try :)

<the little jar-swap-trick>
une: place the cocoon war into the webapps dir and let it unpack or in
     any other way properly install cocoon
deux:you stop the tomcat service
trois: you delete or 'disable' by changing the extension to anything
       but "jar" of the two jar files in $TOMCAT_HOME/common/endorsed/
quatre: you copy xerces,xalan and xmlapi jars from
        webapps/cocoon/WEB-INF/lib to $TOMCAT_HOME/common/endorsed/
        (eg. xml-apis.jar, xercesImpl-2.0.0.jar, xalan-2.3.1.jar)
cinq: you delete any work files from cocoon from the work dir (I
      dont't know if it helps in any matter but I fell safer when I do that :) )
six: you start the tomcat service
</the little jar-swap-trick>

--
 ilfrin                            mailto:ilfrin@box43.pl