Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Michael Crawford <md...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/06 03:37:06 UTC

Multiple columns in header or footer?

I'd like to place a tagline on the right-hand side of my resume's
header, with my name and job title on the left:

   Michael David Crawford              Every Day We Do Our Part To
Make Your Face
   Consulting Software Engineer                                 A Work
Of Art: Burma-Shave

I know how to format an entire page an entire column, but no joy
results from trying to format just the header as multiple columns.

Note that the left-hand column is left-justified, the other right-justified.

It would work to create a graphic image that's formatted this way, so
if OOo does not support it at all, I can still get what I want.  But
it seems to me I should be able to do this without using graphics.

Thine In Eternal Torment,

Mike
Michael David Crawford, Consulting Software Engineer
mdcrawford@gmail.com
http://www.warplife.com/mdc/

   Available for Software Development in the Portland, Oregon Metropolitan
Area.

Re: Multiple columns in header or footer?

Posted by Peter Hillier-Brook <ph...@hbsys.plus.com>.
On 07/01/15 01:18, Alan B wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 9:37 PM, Michael Crawford <md...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to place a tagline on the right-hand side of my resume's
>> header, with my name and job title on the left:
>>

> Michael - maybe the same thing a different way?
>
> The header has default center and right tabs.
>
> You could open the header
> Type the text for the left aligned content, press tab twice, type the text
> for the right aligned content, press enter, repeat on as many lines as
> needed.
>
> NOTE: if the left aligned content extends beyond the center tab or if the
> right aligned content comes back across the center tab the content will
> move to the next line. To defeat this delete the center tab. If the center
> tab is deleted then press tab once after entering left aligned content.

Why all the fuss over a trivial problem? As suggested earlier in this
thread, simply insert a single row table with an appropriate number of
columns into the header.

Re: Multiple columns in header or footer?

Posted by Alan B <ab...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Mon, 5 Jan 2015 18:37:06 -0800
Michael Crawford <md...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to place a tagline on the right-hand side of my resume's
> header, with my name and job title on the left:
>
>    Michael David Crawford              Every Day We Do Our Part To
> Make Your Face
>    Consulting Software Engineer                                 A Work
> Of Art: Burma-Shave

In OpenOffice the standard Header/Footer has three tab positions pre-defined. Use as follows: click in the Header area and enter the text to be left aligned. Then hit tab and enter the text for the centred position. Now another tab and the text for the Right position.

If it should happen that you don't need a centred text, after entering the first (left aligned) text, hit tab twice, then continue with the right aligned text.

If you need more lines than one in your header, after entering the first line for each area hit Enter and continue with the second and subsequent lines.  You might also choose to experiment with line breaks (Shift Enter), but they are very rarely necessary.

Where I write Header above, one can substitute footer.

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Multiple columns in header or footer?

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.

At 19:11 05/01/2015 -0800, Michael Crawford wrote:
>Just one tab on each line of my tagline works.  Because OOo regards
>each such line as a separate paragraph, I can set the tab positions
>separately for each one.

Your lines are separate paragraphs only if you make them separate
paragraphs! OpenOffice regards them as what they are. If you separate
them by line breaks (Shift+Enter) instead, they will all be part of a
single paragraph.

Why do you want to set the tabs differently for different lines?
Despite the partial lines being different lengths, if you want the
text in the right column to be right-aligned, you need simply to set
a *right* tab at the right margin. Then your single tab character
between the two parts of each line will align the right-hand parts
correctly. Indeed, if I insert a header or footer into a document, it
comes with a default centre tab at the centre of the page width and a
default right tab at the right margin. All you need to do to achieve
what you ask is either to enter two tab characters between each half
of each line or (probably better) to delete the centre tab (by
dragging it off the horizontal ruler) and then use just a single tab
character between the parts of the text.

But to return to your original question (though you probably don't
now need this), the way you can set up columns in a header or footer
is the same as you would use for any other region other than complete
pages. Insert a section, which has its own columns property. In a
two-column section in your header, you can have the text in the
columns separately left- and right-aligned - as you originally sought.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Multiple columns in header or footer?

Posted by James Plante <ji...@me.com>.
...or simply use two text frames. See the Help w/r/t Frames.

Jim

Posted by Oliver Brinzing <Ol...@gmx.de>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Michael Crawford <md...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Julian,

Just one tab on each line of my tagline works.  Because OOo regards
each such line as a separate paragraph, I can set the tab positions
separately for each one.

I'm not real sure I'll actually use this in my resume, but I'd like to
provide something more compelling to potential employers than what
must be - for them - a mind-numbing list of positions, employers and
job descriptions.

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.

 —