Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by "Elek, Marton" <el...@apache.org> on 2019/10/08 06:34:05 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Docs pointers Hadoop site

To be honest, I have no idea. I don't know about the historical meaning.

But as there is no other feedback, here are my guesses based on pure logic:

  * current -> should point to the release with the highest number (3.2.1)
  * stable -> to the stable 3.x release with the highest number (3.2.1
as of now)

current2 -> latest 2.x release
stable2 -> latest stable 2.x release

 >> 1. But if the release manager of 3.1 line thinks 3.1.3 is stable,
and 3.2
 >> line is also in stable state, which release should get precedence to be
 >> called as *stable* in any release line (2.x or 3.x) ?

It depends if stable2 = (second highest stable) or (stable from the 2.x
line). I think the second meaning is more reasonable.

 >> 3.1.3 is getting released now, could
 >> http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/ shall be updated to 3.1.3 ? is it
 >> the norms ?

No. As the stable should point to the highest stable, not to the stable
which was released recently.

Marton