Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by de...@wexwarez.com on 2006/08/14 05:23:23 UTC

svn: PROPFIND of '/svn': 403 Forbidden

I am running centos 4.  I installed apache 2 with ssl.  I installed
subversion.
I created a repository in /var/www/svn.  I changed the owner to
apache.apache.
I tried configuring for ssl only with Authorization.  I seemed to be able
to loging and get authorized but i keep getting these errors when i try to
import a test project like so:

$ svn import test http://xx.xx.xx.xx/svn -m "test initial import"
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn'
svn: PROPFIND of '/svn': 403 Forbidden (http://xx.xx.xx.xx)

I tried this with ssl, without ssl, with authentication and without.  I
currently have no authentication set up and got the error above.  I am
configured like so:

<Location /svn>
   DAV svn
   SVNParentPath /var/www/svn
</Location>

When i tried to import locally it seemed to work.
# svn import project file:///var/www/svn -m "prj initial import"
Adding         project/trunk
Adding         project/trunk/file.java
Adding         project/branches
Adding         project/tags
Adding         project/tags/release1
Adding         project/tags/release1/file.java

BUt then when i try to check it out through the network it gives me a
similar error:

$ svn checkout http://xx.xx.xx.xx/svn/project
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/project'
svn:
Could not open the requested SVN filesyste

I thought i had a pretty vanilla setup but i must be doing something dumb.
 Help appreciated.
thanks

Re: svn: PROPFIND of '/svn': 403 Forbidden

Posted by Henk Wissink <He...@Boschman.NL>.
Hello,

we also use Apache + ssl and we have to use https (instead of http). Can that be of influence?

Best regards,
Henk Wissink
-----End------of------this------message-----

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Aug 14, 2006, at 07:23, developer@wexwarez.com wrote:

> I created a repository in /var/www/svn.

[snip]

> i keep getting these errors when i try to
> import a test project like so:
>
> $ svn import test http://xx.xx.xx.xx/svn -m "test initial import"
> svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn'
> svn: PROPFIND of '/svn': 403 Forbidden (http://xx.xx.xx.xx)
>
> I tried this with ssl, without ssl, with authentication and
> without.  I
> currently have no authentication set up and got the error above.  I am
> configured like so:
>
> <Location /svn>
>    DAV svn
>    SVNParentPath /var/www/svn
> </Location>
>
> When i tried to import locally it seemed to work.
> # svn import project file:///var/www/svn -m "prj initial import"
> Adding         project/trunk
> Adding         project/trunk/file.java
> Adding         project/branches
> Adding         project/tags
> Adding         project/tags/release1
> Adding         project/tags/release1/file.java

[snip]

If you have a single repository (as in, you used "svnadmin create /
var/www/svn" to create it) then you should use SVNPath, not
SVNParentPath in the Apache directives.

<Location /svn>
    DAV svn
    SVNPath /var/www/svn
</Location>

-*-

SVNParentPath is for when you have several repositories all within
the same directory on the server, as in:

mkdir /var/www/svn
svnadmin create /var/www/svn/repo1
svnadmin create /var/www/svn/repo2
svnadmin create /var/www/svn/repo3

And then you would need to specify the repository name in the URL, e.g.

svn import test http://xx.xx.xx.xx/svn/repo2 -m "test initial import"

Re: PROPFIND of '/svn': 403 Forbidden

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
>I am running centos 4.  I installed apache 2 with ssl.  I installed
> subversion.

Which subverson? Were you installing from the CentOS RPM's, building it
yourself, or using David Summes's RPM's?

> I created a repository in /var/www/svn.  I changed the owner to
> apache.apache.
> I tried configuring for ssl only with Authorization.  I seemed to be able
> to loging and get authorized but i keep getting these errors when i try to
> import a test project like so:
>
> $ svn import test http://xx.xx.xx.xx/svn -m "test initial import"
> svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn'
> svn: PROPFIND of '/svn': 403 Forbidden (http://xx.xx.xx.xx)
>
> I tried this with ssl, without ssl, with authentication and without.  I
> currently have no authentication set up and got the error above.  I am
> configured like so:
>
> <Location /svn>
>   DAV svn
>   SVNParentPath /var/www/svn
> </Location>

Where is your authentication? Something like this is much more normal:

Contents of /etc/httpd/conf.d/subversion.conf
LoadModule dav_svn_module     modules/mod_dav_svn.so
LoadModule authz_svn_module   modules/mod_authz_svn.so

#
# Example configuration to enable HTTP access for a directory
# containing Subversion repositories, "/var/www/svn".  Each repository
# must be readable and writable by the 'apache' user.  Note that if
# SELinux is enabled, the repositories must be labelled with a context
# which httpd can write to; this will happen by default for
# directories created in /var/www.  Use "restorecon -R /var/www/svn"
# to label the repositories if upgrading from a previous release.
#

#
# To create a new repository "http://localhost/repos/stuff" using
# this configuration, run as root:
#
#   # cd /var/www/svn
#   # svnadmin create stuff
#   # chown -R apache.apache stuff
#

<Location /repos>
   DAV svn
   SVNParentPath /var/www/svn
   SVNListParentPath on
   SSLRequireSSL

   # Limit write permission to list of valid users.
   <LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
      # Require SSL connection for password protection.
      # SSLRequireSSL

      AuthType Basic
      AuthName "Authorization Realm"
#      AuthUserFile /path/to/passwdfile
      AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/conf.d/subversion-passwd
      Require valid-user
   </LimitExcept>