Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2003/02/27 16:52:12 UTC

[4.1.21] Stability rating

<ballot>
[ ] Alpha
[ ] Beta
[ ] Stable (GA)
</ballot>

Please vote (after testing the release, if possible ;).

Thanks,
Remy

Re: [4.1.21] Stability rating

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Hans Bergsten wrote:

>> You are a tomcat committer just like Remy or everyone else. Commit
>> the fix - and if someone has a problem with it he can -1 and
>> propose a better solution.
>
> Yes, I am, but it's been years since I committed anything and my
> environment is not set up for it. I simply don't have the time right
> now to fix my environment (figure out how to set up ssh, find out
> if I have submitted a signature to ASF and if so, where it is, find out
> what my CVS password is, etc. etc.), so my contributions to this
> project will be in the form of patches in Bugzilla. And yes, some
> nagging now and then when the patches are not applied ;-)

Just send a mail to root with the public ssh key. Setting up ssh
shouldn't take more than 10 minutes after the key is set. I would
be happy to help - send me a private email if you run into any
problem.
If you are on windows - install cygwin and you'll get both ssh
and cvs, it's the easiest way around.

All you need is to install ssh, generate a key pair and send the public
key to root ( he'll know how to put it in authorized_keys ).

> I know I can not demand that someone else commits the patches, and
> in a prefect world I would find the time to do it myself. But I find
> it quite annoying that the JSPC bugs are allowed to remain from
> release to release when there are tested patches available in
> Bugzilla.

Well - one reason for that is that committers who have expertise in JSP and
could apply the patches don't find the time to set up their CVS :-)
Yes, it is quite annoying.

> Anyway, since committing the patches myself is not an option at this
> time (but may be in the future), my only alternatives are to continue
> to submit patches and nag, or to stop contributing altogether. Hey, I
> can patch my own copy to fix the problems I find. Believe it or not,
> I'm actually trying to help out by submitting patches and reminding
> you of them. But if you want me to shut up, I'll do that. Even
> submitting patches takes time and if you're just going to ignore them,
> that's time I can use for other things ...

I am going to ignore them for now - but I would be happy to help you
get the CVS setup. Just send me a mail with your environment ( win, unix,
etc), I'm pretty familiar with ssh and cvs.

Costin

Re: [4.1.21] Stability rating

Posted by Hans Bergsten <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>.
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Hans Bergsten wrote:
>

>>>Good. For JspC, I think there are more urgent problems than the tag
>>>related problem, such as the mangling issues which just got fixed in
>>>Tomcat 5. That's why I didn't bother trying to apply whatever patch was
>>>needed for tags, knowing it would still be broken.
>>
>>Well, if you apply the patch that fixes the "NPE when packaged tag
>>libraries are used" proble, it would be _less_ broken ;-) Seriously,
>>this patch has been submitted by at least two people, has been available
>>for months, and does not cause any regression. Why not just apply it
>>and move on?
>

> You are a tomcat committer just like Remy or everyone else. Commit
> the fix - and if someone has a problem with it he can -1 and
> propose a better solution.

Yes, I am, but it's been years since I committed anything and my
environment is not set up for it. I simply don't have the time right
now to fix my environment (figure out how to set up ssh, find out
if I have submitted a signature to ASF and if so, where it is, find out
what my CVS password is, etc. etc.), so my contributions to this
project will be in the form of patches in Bugzilla. And yes, some
nagging now and then when the patches are not applied ;-)

I know I can not demand that someone else commits the patches, and
in a prefect world I would find the time to do it myself. But I find
it quite annoying that the JSPC bugs are allowed to remain from
release to release when there are tested patches available in
Bugzilla.

Anyway, since committing the patches myself is not an option at this
time (but may be in the future), my only alternatives are to continue
to submit patches and nag, or to stop contributing altogether. Hey, I
can patch my own copy to fix the problems I find. Believe it or not,
I'm actually trying to help out by submitting patches and reminding
you of them. But if you want me to shut up, I'll do that. Even
submitting patches takes time and if you're just going to ignore them,
that's time I can use for other things ...

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten                                <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>
Gefion Software                       <http://www.gefionsoftware.com/>

Re: [4.1.21] Stability rating

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Hans Bergsten wrote:

>> Good. For JspC, I think there are more urgent problems than the tag
>> related problem, such as the mangling issues which just got fixed in
>> Tomcat 5. That's why I didn't bother trying to apply whatever patch was
>> needed for tags, knowing it would still be broken.
>
> Well, if you apply the patch that fixes the "NPE when packaged tag
> libraries are used" proble, it would be _less_ broken ;-) Seriously,
> this patch has been submitted by at least two people, has been available
> for months, and does not cause any regression. Why not just apply it
> and move on?

You are a tomcat committer just like Remy or everyone else. Commit
the fix - and if someone has a problem with it he can -1 and
propose a better solution.

> The "mangling problem" (I assume you refer to problems with filepath
> names containing dots) is far less common, and if it's hard to fix (I
> haven't looked at it), it could wait. But if the TC 5 patch can easily
> be ported to 4.1, why not do it? Even if you refer to some problem I'm
> not aware of, fixing the NPE problem can hardly be a bad idea since
> it affects _everyone_ who tries to use JSPC with packaged tag libraries
> (the majority case in the real world).

Good question. Why not do it ?

Thanks for volunteering !

Costin

Re: [4.1.21] Stability rating

Posted by Hans Bergsten <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Costin Manolache wrote:
>
>> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>>

>>> <ballot>
>>> [ ] Alpha
>>> [ ] Beta
>>> [X] Stable (GA)
>>> </ballot>
>>>
>>> Please vote (after testing the release, if possible ;).
>>

>> It works for me. It would be nice to fix the jspc bugs tough.
>> I fixed a small regression in modeler(HEAD) so it can be used as drop-in
>> replacement ( if you have non-supported components - like other
>> connectors -
>> to avoid the exceptions )
>

> Good. For JspC, I think there are more urgent problems than the tag
> related problem, such as the mangling issues which just got fixed in
> Tomcat 5. That's why I didn't bother trying to apply whatever patch was
> needed for tags, knowing it would still be broken.

Well, if you apply the patch that fixes the "NPE when packaged tag
libraries are used" proble, it would be _less_ broken ;-) Seriously,
this patch has been submitted by at least two people, has been available
for months, and does not cause any regression. Why not just apply it
and move on?

The "mangling problem" (I assume you refer to problems with filepath
names containing dots) is far less common, and if it's hard to fix (I
haven't looked at it), it could wait. But if the TC 5 patch can easily
be ported to 4.1, why not do it? Even if you refer to some problem I'm
not aware of, fixing the NPE problem can hardly be a bad idea since
it affects _everyone_ who tries to use JSPC with packaged tag libraries
(the majority case in the real world).

 > [...]

Hans

Re: [4.1.21] Stability rating

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>

>><ballot>
>>[ ] Alpha
>>[ ] Beta
>>[X] Stable (GA)
>></ballot>
>>
>>Please vote (after testing the release, if possible ;).
>

> It works for me. It would be nice to fix the jspc bugs tough.
> I fixed a small regression in modeler(HEAD) so it can be used as drop-in
> replacement ( if you have non-supported components - like other connectors -
> to avoid the exceptions )

Good. For JspC, I think there are more urgent problems than the tag
related problem, such as the mangling issues which just got fixed in
Tomcat 5. That's why I didn't bother trying to apply whatever patch was
needed for tags, knowing it would still be broken.

> Any chance of making a build of jk(HEAD) to match the 4.1.21 and
> have it included somewhere ? IMHO the extra measurements are pretty
> nice - and the rest of the code is identical ( except the dependency
> on JMX, of course ).

Looking at the diffs, it also uses thread with attributes, and stuff.
That's a whole lot of stuff. Since I don't want to start having to test
all combinations :-P
I'm not against upgrading to Coyote HEAD eventually.

Remy

Re: [4.1.21] Stability rating

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.

Re: [4.1.21] Stability rating

Posted by Amy Roh <am...@apache.org>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> <ballot>
> [ ] Alpha
> [ ] Beta
> [X] Stable (GA)
> </ballot>

Amy

Re: [4.1.21] Stability rating

Posted by Hans Bergsten <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>.
Actually, let's change that to Beta; it's just one bug after all,
even though it's a fairly important one.

Hans

Re: [4.1.21] Stability rating

Posted by Hans Bergsten <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>.
Amy Roh wrote:
> Hans Bergsten wrote:
>
>> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>>
>>> <ballot>
>>> [X] Alpha
>>> [ ] Beta
>>> [ ] Stable (GA)
>>> </ballot>
>>

>> The TagLibraryInfoImpl patch attached to bug 14302 is still not
>> applied, so JSPC fails with an NPE for any web app that contains
>> a tag library packaged as a JAR file (with the TLD in the JAR file).
>

> I just applied the patch.

Great, thanks!

Hans

Re: [4.1.21] Stability rating

Posted by Amy Roh <am...@apache.org>.

Re: [4.1.21] Stability rating

Posted by Hans Bergsten <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>.

Re: [4.1.21] Stability rating

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> <ballot>
> [ ] Alpha
> [ ] Beta
> [X] Stable (GA)
> </ballot>

I plan to proceed with the actual release later today.

Remy

Re: [4.1.21] Stability rating

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.

RE: [4.1.21] Stability rating

Posted by George Sexton <gs...@mhsoftware.com>.
I tested my application on it and everything seems OK.

FWIW, though, because I am not a committer.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
Home of Connect Daily Web Calendar Software
http://www.mhsoftware.com/connectdaily.htm

RE: [4.1.21] Stability rating

Posted by John Trollinger <ja...@trollingers.com>.