Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org> on 2002/10/24 12:58:45 UTC

Straw poll : FW: Projects to nudge into top-level ( was Re: Concern about the futureof Apache. )

I don't know how many, if any, commiters are also on the reorg@ list, but I thought I'd FW this mail in case you're not.

To sumarise theres a feeling abroad that Apache should be less vertical and more horizontal in its organisation, that Jakarta is unbalancing things by being so big, and that "The Apache Way" is being diluted as a result (don't flame me I'm just passing it on ;).

To address this there has been a proposal that sub-projects can be elevated to full "xxxx.apache.org" project status, and as you can see from the appended message James has been suggested as a candidate.

This would involve James having its own PMC, and reporting to the board, and would benefit from higher percieved "status".
Alternatively there is also a move afoot to allow self-categorisation of projects, removing the benefit of "status" from the action of elevation to full project.

Now.. I don't know how long the internal machinations of reorg, or the Board will take, and I would be a fool if I second guessed the outcome, but out of curiosity are we generally in favour or opposed to being a top level project with our own elected PMC?

(I'll save my own opinion 'till I hear some others)
d.

Re: Straw poll : FW: Projects to nudge into top-level ( was Re: Concern about the futureof Apache. )

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
One problems with reorg is that it often takes some time for things to
settle down.
One conservative approach could be to make minimum reorg changes for some
time and then as things settle down pick the right pattern to follow.

That being said, I think it is good to monitor reorg. Not sure what James as
a top level project will change, but it does sound impressive.

Harmeet

Re: Straw poll : FW: Projects to nudge into top-level ( was Re: Concern about the futureof Apache. )

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@apache.org>.
Danny Angus wrote:

>I don't know how many, if any, commiters are also on the reorg@ list, but I thought I'd FW this mail in case you're not.

Good idea. I signed up for reorg when first announced and signed off the
next day under the weight of emails.

Charles

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
As I understand it there is the potential for Jakarta projects to apply to "jump-ship" now, irrespective of the outcome of the reorg.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> What is your opinion re James as a top-level project?

Roy T. Fielding's message paints a completely different picture than that
presented, or at least understood by me from earlier messages.  His message
suggests that it was always the intent for projects to form a PMC as they
matured, and that this is for legal reasons completely unrelated to any
reorganization of the Jakarta site, or other issue previously raised.

Based upon Roy T. Fielding's message, I think that it would be foolish NOT
to form a PMC.  Any issues of site reorganization are completely orthogonal
to the legal issue of forming a PMC.

Since there is no other project under which we would properly be subsumed,
we clearly SHOULD form a PMC.  So +1 on the PMC.

Many thanks for Nico for the clarification.

	--- Noel

RE: Straw poll : FW: Projects to nudge into top-level ( was Re: Concern about the futureof Apache. )

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
Noel,
1st this is probably better suited to reorg@apache.org
2nd What is your opinion re James as a top-level project?

other points below..

> Good things could come from a reorg, but my own view as a non-insider is
> that the interests of outside users (e.g, the potential consuming
> developers) should be incorporated into any reorg that is visible
> on the web
> site(s).

This is all under (full and heated!) discussion

> If there were to be a reorg, I'd want thought put into semantic
> relationships.  Yes, things like taglibs and struts can be used with other
> servlet engines than Tomcat, but we need to make it easy for
> people to find
> things and pull them together related technologies.  As Serge noted,
> increased visibility for specific projects could be a good thing for the
> right project(s), but too broad a tree makes it harder to see the
> forest for
> the trees.

There have been discussions on the distinction between external appearances and internal structures, and discussions around the notion of self-categorisation by projects.

> FWIW, it might be nice if there were a matchers/mailets
> sub-project of James
> similar to the taglib (sub-)project.  But that can be dealt with after we
> address the classloading issues.

Yeah, its a long term plan of mine to see mailet seperated off as a fully independant su-project of James, and a project delivering James independant mailets/matchers would align well with this.

> Questions:
>
>    Is there any real infrastructure related issue for reorganizing?
>    If so, what?

Yeah Brian has suggested making Source Cast available to the ASF, there have been other discussions relating to the process of self-categorisation of projects, but its early days.
So far the two concrete things to emerge have been the apache-incubator project, and the confirmation that jakarta sub-projects (EG james etc) can petition the board for elevation to project status.

>    Does the fact that Tomcat isn't on the list reveal an underlying
>    "jealousy" that Tomcat is the perceived BMOC on the Jakarta
>    campus, and some people want more mindshare?

Isn't it? or is it that TC is obvoius and well represented by foundation members?

>    Is this reorg being considered to encourage some projects to
>    stay, rather than jump ship after having established themselves?

No, I believe its come about as a result of a general ill-defined dissatisfaction with the current situation, the size of jakarta, the danger of losing sight of "The Apache Way", and the widespread desire to see Apache *not* become simply a sourceforge.
IMO there is no crisis, or definite timescale, but to avert a future crisis, and to have time to ramble through the usual interminable debating, discussions are starting now.

>    What would the reorg impose upon projects?

AFAIK nothing that was not agreed by projects, PMC's, sub-projects or whomever is the relevant group.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
These are just my off-the-cuff thoughts.  However, I did spend time going
through the jakarta.apache.org and xml.apache.org sites, and authoring a
roadmap for developers (see:
www.softwaresummit.com/2002/speakers/bergman.htm), so I think I have some
notion of the perspective of developers who are more concerned with making
use of Jakarta technologies than in how Apache manages itself internally.

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.