Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Alexey Goncharuk <al...@gmail.com> on 2018/03/06 08:44:25 UTC

Re: Let's keep Apache Ignite docs up-to-date

Igniters,

Bumping up this discussion.

I have recently found out that we have this process for documenting new
releases [1] which looks quite ridiculous to me.

First, creating a copy of page with next-version suffix is inconvenient and
error-prone: the next-version page is not visible to anyone, moreover, all
suggested edits to current documentation will be lost after the page copy
is created. Second, the documentation changes should be transparent to
users, but now a regular user cannot even review upcoming changes until
they are granted a permission to see/edit hidden pages.

Unless we have very strong reasons to keep documentation on readme.io (by
strong I mean a feature that cannot be implemented using a VCS + doc
generator), I would at least spend some time piloting the 'keep docs in the
VCS' approach.

Thoughts?

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/How+to+Document

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Guys,

The migration process is in the progress. Here is a discussion where we
exchanged alternate doc engines (let's keep talking there):
http://apache-ignite-developers.2346864.n4.nabble.com/Move-documentation-from-readme-io-to-GitHub-pages-td16409.html

Add to the JIRA ticket as a watcher if you wish to track the progress:

The goal is to migrate to the new docs by the next Ignite 2.5 release.

--
Denis

Posted by Guru Stron <gu...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Igniters