Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> on 2011/02/22 23:07:12 UTC

Re: Some question about fault Injection

Hi Hao.

Yes, you should be able to instrument any part of Hadoop including
mapreduce daemons. A good examples of how to inject faults to Hadoop
are fault inject tests you can find in Hdfs (under
src/test/aop/org/apache/hadoop). I believe Mapreduce doesn't have any
fault injections tests yet for most of our focus until now was on HDFS
side.

Please keep in mind that you need to write your own aspectj
implementation of the faults (for the weaving) and the you have to
make sure that the instrumented jar files are deployed to the cluster
(e.g. the weaved faults are present in the actual cluster jar files)

Out of the three on second one is in aop.xml.
>            % ant jar-fault-inject
>            % ant jar-test-fault-inject
>            % ant run-test-hdfs-fault-inject
The rest is located in the main build.xml. Pretty ugly I think but I
had to work around certain ant limitation and that was less harmful
workaround of all.

Please feel free to ask further questions if something won't be clear.
--
  Take care,
Konstantin (Cos) Boudnik

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
I suggest to start with fault injection tests. They can found under
  src/test/aop/org/apache/hadoop
for HDFS in 0.22. Hdfs has been has the best coverage by fault injection.

Test exists in the similar location in the trunk, but they aren't hooked up to
maven build system yet.

Cos