Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Michael Chan <da...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/08 12:57:28 UTC

Lucene searching algorithm

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can find descriptions of Lucene's searching
algorithm, besides the lecture at University of Pisa 2004? Has it been
published? I'm trying to find a reference to the algorithm.

Thanks,
Michael

Re: Lucene searching algorithm

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Hi Michael,

I think there are a number of good resources on this:

1.  http://lucene.apache.org/java/scoring.html covers the basics of
searching.  The bottom has some pseudo code as well.

2. Lucene In Action

3.  Search this list and other places for information on the Vector
Space Model.  The Wiki also has a number of links, etc. that may
prove useful, including a variety of talks and articles.

4.  Last of all, and probably best of all, the code!  Have a look at
how TermQuery and BooleanQuery work, as well as the Searchers, etc.

Hope this helps,
Grant

On Oct 8, 2006, at 6:57 AM, Michael Chan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know where I can find descriptions of Lucene's searching
> algorithm, besides the lecture at University of Pisa 2004? Has it been
> published? I'm trying to find a reference to the algorithm.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

Grant Ingersoll
Sr. Software Engineer