Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2013/08/15 10:37:37 UTC

HttpClient 4.3 tutorial preview

Folks

HttpClient 4.3 tutorial preview can be found here:

http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpclient-tutorial-4.3/html/

This is pretty much the last chance to review the new APIs and make
amends.

As always, review /feedback / comments / proofreading would be hugely
appreciated.

Cheers

Oleg

Re: HttpClient 4.3 tutorial preview

Posted by James Leigh <ja...@3roundstones.com>.
Hi Oleg,

I took another try at replacing URICollection with List<URI> in
HTTPCLIENT-1387[1]. You may recall we had discussed this previously[2].
This patch is different bc it is binary compatible with 4.2. Please have
a look.

Thanks,
James

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-1387
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-1351

Re: HttpClient 4.3 tutorial preview

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2013-08-15 at 10:42 -0400, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> Hm... I was looking for a "Migrating from previous versions" appendix or
> section. Even if there is little to say, it would be worth having IMO.
>
> Gary

This is a reasonable request. I just think it does not need to be a part
of tutorial. A migration guide at the project web site would probably
serve as well. Besides, we would not need to delay the release, as web
site content can be updated at any time of convenience without having to
go through a release vote.

Of course, contributions are very welcome.

Oleg

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Oleg,

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

#custom() vs #createBuilder(); was Re: HttpClient 4.3 tutorial preview

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2013-08-15 at 10:41 -0400, Gary Gregory wrote:
> It seems to me that the method HttpClients.custom() should be renamed
> createBuilder(). All the other APIs in the class are create*().
>
> Gary

Gary,

The #custom() method is also used in a few other classes for the same
purpose: SocketConfig, ConnectionConfig, IOReactorConfig, CacheConfig,
RequestConfig, SSLContexts, CachingHttpClients. For consistency sake we
would have to rename the namesake method in those classes too. The
trouble is that  SocketConfig, ConnectionConfig, and IOReactorConfig
have already been released with HttpCore 4.3.

A middle ground solution may be to leave #custom() method in all classes
that represent config parameters (SocketConfig, ConnectionConfig,
IOReactorConfig, CacheConfig, RequestConfig) and rename it in factory
classes (SSLContexts, HttpClients, and CachingHttpClients)

----
CloseableHttpClient httpclient = HttpClients.custom()
        .setKeepAliveStrategy(strat)
        .build();
----

----
CloseableHttpClient httpclient = HttpClients.createBuilder()
        .setKeepAliveStrategy(strat)
        .build();
----

Folks, please give us some input as to which variant seems better (or
consistent).

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.