Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> on 2006/11/10 19:45:21 UTC

Release and Maven

I have IRC'ed, water cooler chatted with a few of the
committers. From that I would like  to suggest the following:

1. We create a LABEL of what we have now. Rajith
has done this for us ( If all goes wrong we can go back)
2. One of the biggest issues that Steve has been having is
 tests, to this end it would be easier for Steve to restructure
tests on trunk. I suggest that he do this today. This means that
he has less back merging to do.

Then, as we will still have builds on the trunk we have two options:
a.) If Maven branch is clean by Monday and can create RC's we do
a quick vote monday to include maven and merge to trunk based on
the state of the branch.
b.) If Maven branch is not at this point, we create a branch for the RC
from trunk and create the M1 RC without maven. Once we have this
branch for M1, we get the maven merged on trunk not affecting M1

I expect that we will have most of the other issues compete Monday,
and either way we have a RC Tuesday that we can test / refine with
or without maven, and have made a clear way for Steve to get his
branch merged back. Either Monday or post branch Wednesday.

Does this fly...

Carl.

Re: Release and Maven

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Steve Vinoski wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2006, at 1:45 PM, Carl Trieloff wrote:
>

>> I have IRC'ed, water cooler chatted with a few of the
>> committers. From that I would like  to suggest the following:
>>
>> 1. We create a LABEL of what we have now. Rajith
>> has done this for us ( If all goes wrong we can go back)
>> 2. One of the biggest issues that Steve has been having is
>> tests, to this end it would be easier for Steve to restructure
>> tests on trunk. I suggest that he do this today. This means that
>> he has less back merging to do.
>>
>> Then, as we will still have builds on the trunk we have two options:
>> a.) If Maven branch is clean by Monday and can create RC's we do
>> a quick vote monday to include maven and merge to trunk based on
>> the state of the branch.
>> b.) If Maven branch is not at this point, we create a branch for the RC
>> from trunk and create the M1 RC without maven. Once we have this
>> branch for M1, we get the maven merged on trunk not affecting M1
>>
>> I expect that we will have most of the other issues compete Monday,
>> and either way we have a RC Tuesday that we can test / refine with
>> or without maven, and have made a clear way for Steve to get his
>> branch merged back. Either Monday or post branch Wednesday.
>>
>> Does this fly...
>
> +1. This definitely works for me. Only issue for me is the window, as
> I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to restructure the tests today
> only, but if by "today" you mean "Friday and Saturday" then I think I
> can do it. ;-)
Sure I see no issue with that.

Re: Release and Maven

Posted by Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com>.
As promised on Friday, I just committed the changes required to
eliminate dependencies between test subdirectories. I did this by
creating a top-level systests directory and moving any tests that
exhibited cross-directory dependency issues into it. Everything
builds and passes for me, but let me know if you run into any issues
with my changes.

I think the tests could use additional cleanup, but I took a minimal
approach, doing only what was necessary to get maven working. I also
now have maven building and passing tests, but it's on a new branch
that I haven't committed yet. I'll commit that branch tomorrow and
send another email when I do, so that way people can take a look at
the branch and decide if we want to merge it before M1.

--steve

Re: Release and Maven

Posted by Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com>.