Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/27 14:47:49 UTC

Jackrabbit 2.0 support for OSGi/Sling

Hi all,

Right now we have a number of JCR related bundles in Sling. With the JCR
API 2.0 now public and Jackrabbit runnuning towards its first 2.0
release providing full JCR API 2.0 support, I wonder where we would be
heading with these bundles....

I would like to hear your opinions how to handle the Jackrabbit based
bundles in the future.

I would think some bundles belong to Sling (e.g. the compiler or prefs
bundles). Some bundles would rather belong to the Jackrabbit project.
But then I am not sure about some bundles ....

Here are the bundles I am talking about

   bundles/jcr/api
         Provides the SlingRepository iterface. This bundle just
         depends on JCR and has no Jackrabbit dependencies.
     --> Keep it here

   bundles/jcr/base
         Provides an abstract base implementation of the SlingRepository
         interface and has Jackrabbit dependencies.
     --> Investigate separation of Jackrabbit specific and generic
         JCR parts and split the bundle in two: The Jackrabbit part goes
         to Jackrabbit, the JCR-only part remains here

   bundles/jcr/classloader
         Depends on the Jackrabbit JCR Classloader but extends it for
         some Sling specific parts.
     --> Keep it here

   bundles/jcr/contentloader
         Initial Content Loader, currently has dependency on Jackrabbit
         API for ACL stuff. For JCR 2.0 this will be converted into a
         pure JCR 2.0 dependency, hence be completely independent of
         Jackrabbit
     --> Keep it or offer to Jackrabbit ?

   bundles/jcr/jackrabbit-accessmanager
         Access Control Management servlets leveraging Sling
         functionality.
     --> Keep it here

   bundles/jcr/jackrabbit-server
         Embedded Jackrabbit Repository providing Service API to plugin
         LoginModules as OSGi services.
     --> Offer to Jackrabbit

   bundles/jcr/jackrabbit-usermanager
         User Manager for Jackrabbit (might be converted into a generic
         JCR 2.0 user manager ?) leveraging Sling functionality.
     --> Keep it here

   bundles/jcr/ocm
         OSGi bundle with Jackrabbit-OCM providing a Sling
         AdapterFactory for resources. Plugs heavily into Sling.
     --> Keep it here or offer to Jackrabbit ?

   bundles/jcr/resource
         JCRResourceResolver
     --> We keep this ;-)

   bundles/jcr/webdav
         (Simple) WebDAV servlet(s)
     --> Offer to Jackrabbit

   contrib/jcr/compiler
         Compiles Java Classes into the Repository. This is part of
         Sling.
     --> Keep it here

   contrib/jcr/jackrabbit-api
         Old OSGi bundle wrapping of Jackrabbit API. This is not used
         any longer, since Jackrabbit already provides OSGi bundles of
         some libraries, including the Jackrabbit API
     --> Deprecate and remove sometime in the future (move to "attic"?)

   contrib/jcr/jackrabbit-client
         Provides access to non-embedded repositories, mostly Jackrabbit
         oriented.
     --> Offer to Jackrabbit

   contrib/jcr/prefs
         JCR bindings for the Apache Felix OSGi Preferences Service
         implementation.
     --> Keep it here

I have inlined my opinions with respect to each bundle (marked with -->).

Please comment. Thanks alot.

Regards
Felix

Re: Jackrabbit 2.0 support for OSGi/Sling

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
On 30 Nov 2009, at 08:50, Felix Meschberger wrote:

> Hi Jukka,
>
> Jukka Zitting schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Felix Meschberger <fmeschbe@gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>>  bundles/jcr/classloader
>>>        Depends on the Jackrabbit JCR Classloader but extends it for
>>>        some Sling specific parts.
>>>    --> Keep it here
>>
>> Would Sling be interested in taking over the entire JCR Classloader
>> codebase? I don't see much development of it in Jackrabbit and I
>> don't
>> think the component is used too much beyond Sling. For maintenance
>> and
>> further development it might be easier if this was just a single
>> component.
>
> I would think, that merging the Sling and Jackrabbit codebases with
> respect to the classloader (while trying to maintain support for using
> the classloader in a non-OSGi environment) would probably make sense.
>
> Other opinions ?

Structurally, that makes sense to me,
but my view is probably not well informed as the jcr classloader is an
area where I haven't spent much time.

Ian

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Felix Meschberger wrote:
> Hi Jukka,
>
> Jukka Zitting schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>   bundles/jcr/classloader
>>>         Depends on the Jackrabbit JCR Classloader but extends it for
>>>         some Sling specific parts.
>>>     --> Keep it here
>> Would Sling be interested in taking over the entire JCR Classloader
>> codebase? I don't see much development of it in Jackrabbit and I don't
>> think the component is used too much beyond Sling. For maintenance and
>> further development it might be easier if this was just a single
>> component.
>
> I would think, that merging the Sling and Jackrabbit codebases with
> respect to the classloader (while trying to maintain support for using
> the classloader in a non-OSGi environment) would probably make sense.

Yes merging seems to make sense - if there is no need at jackrabbit for this
stuff, maybe there is no need for this classloader in a non-osgi env either?
If it is easy to support the non-osgi env, we should do it; if not, I
don't see it as a requirement atm.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Jackrabbit 2.0 support for OSGi/Sling

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jukka,

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>   bundles/jcr/classloader
>         Depends on the Jackrabbit JCR Classloader but extends it for
>         some Sling specific parts.
>     --> Keep it here

Would Sling be interested in taking over the entire JCR Classloader
codebase? I don't see much development of it in Jackrabbit and I don't
think the component is used too much beyond Sling. For maintenance and
further development it might be easier if this was just a single
component.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Jackrabbit 2.0 support for OSGi/Sling

Posted by Vidar Ramdal <vi...@idium.no>.
On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here are the bundles I am talking about
[...]
>   bundles/jcr/contentloader
>         Initial Content Loader, currently has dependency on Jackrabbit
>         API for ACL stuff. For JCR 2.0 this will be converted into a
>         pure JCR 2.0 dependency, hence be completely independent of
>         Jackrabbit
>     --> Keep it or offer to Jackrabbit ?

I'd like to do some more hacking on the contentloader when I get time.
Being a Sling commiter, and not a Jackrabbit commiter, I'd certainly
prefer to have it here. But maybe that's just being egoistic :)

Maybe there's also a third option (which may also apply to other
bundles): Keep it, but remove most/all dependencies to other Sling
bundles, so that our bundles can be used by other
projects/applications without using the entire Sling enchilada.

--
Vidar S. Ramdal <vi...@idium.no> - http://www.idium.no
Sommerrogata 13-15, N-0255 Oslo, Norway

Re: Jackrabbit 2.0 support for OSGi/Sling

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
On 27 Nov 2009, at 13:47, Felix Meschberger wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Right now we have a number of JCR related bundles in Sling. With the
> JCR
> API 2.0 now public and Jackrabbit runnuning towards its first 2.0
> release providing full JCR API 2.0 support, I wonder where we would be
> heading with these bundles....
>
> I would like to hear your opinions how to handle the Jackrabbit based
> bundles in the future.
>
> I would think some bundles belong to Sling (e.g. the compiler or prefs
> bundles). Some bundles would rather belong to the Jackrabbit project.
> But then I am not sure about some bundles ....
>
> Here are the bundles I am talking about
>
>   bundles/jcr/api
>         Provides the SlingRepository iterface. This bundle just
>         depends on JCR and has no Jackrabbit dependencies.
>     --> Keep it here
>
>   bundles/jcr/base
>         Provides an abstract base implementation of the
> SlingRepository
>         interface and has Jackrabbit dependencies.
>     --> Investigate separation of Jackrabbit specific and generic
>         JCR parts and split the bundle in two: The Jackrabbit part
> goes
>         to Jackrabbit, the JCR-only part remains here
>
>   bundles/jcr/classloader
>         Depends on the Jackrabbit JCR Classloader but extends it for
>         some Sling specific parts.
>     --> Keep it here
>
>   bundles/jcr/contentloader
>         Initial Content Loader, currently has dependency on Jackrabbit
>         API for ACL stuff. For JCR 2.0 this will be converted into a
>         pure JCR 2.0 dependency, hence be completely independent of
>         Jackrabbit
>     --> Keep it or offer to Jackrabbit ?

IMHO, keep, as it binds to OSGi and does things specific to Sling.

>   bundles/jcr/jackrabbit-accessmanager
>         Access Control Management servlets leveraging Sling
>         functionality.
>     --> Keep it here
>
>   bundles/jcr/jackrabbit-server
>         Embedded Jackrabbit Repository providing Service API to plugin
>         LoginModules as OSGi services.
>     --> Offer to Jackrabbit

IMHO, keep this,
There are some aspects of it that are needed for Sling like the plugins.

We might expect JR to create a OSGi Jackrabbit core bundle, but I
think Sling would need to customize it to take care of deployment
issues and local integration points.

I will declare some self interest since this is one of the remaining
bundles that I, with a Sakai hat on, havent been able to avoid
customizing, since the DefaultAccessManager wont cover quite a number
of our use cases and injecting one from a new bundle means writing a
huge amount of very complex code, not something I really want to do.

I am told that the DefaultAccessManager has been re-written for JCR2,
but when I looked at the ACLTemplate and ACLEditor code in svn trunk
it looked quite similar with group deny added (one of our use cases).
So I *am* a bit confused at the moment.

Ian

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

This sounds like a good compromise approach for those parts that we
ultimately offer to Jackrabbit: We feel some things belong more to
Jackrabbit than to Sling, yet we have some expertise in them and would
like to keep maintaining it.

So, I could imagine asking the Jackrabbit PMC whether they could open
the OSGi oriented subproject to Sling committers...

Regards
Felix

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I'll just comment on those were I have a different opinion or additional
comment :)

Felix Meschberger wrote:
>    bundles/jcr/base
>          Provides an abstract base implementation of the SlingRepository
>          interface and has Jackrabbit dependencies.
>      --> Investigate separation of Jackrabbit specific and generic
>          JCR parts and split the bundle in two: The Jackrabbit part goes
>          to Jackrabbit, the JCR-only part remains here
Not sure if it is worth to separate, I would just donate everything to
Jackrabbit. If other repository implementations are interested we can
investigate further.

>    bundles/jcr/contentloader
>          Initial Content Loader, currently has dependency on Jackrabbit
>          API for ACL stuff. For JCR 2.0 this will be converted into a
>          pure JCR 2.0 dependency, hence be completely independent of
>          Jackrabbit
>      --> Keep it or offer to Jackrabbit ?
Keep it.

>    bundles/jcr/ocm
>          OSGi bundle with Jackrabbit-OCM providing a Sling
>          AdapterFactory for resources. Plugs heavily into Sling.
>      --> Keep it here or offer to Jackrabbit ?
Keep it

>    contrib/jcr/jackrabbit-api
>          Old OSGi bundle wrapping of Jackrabbit API. This is not used
>          any longer, since Jackrabbit already provides OSGi bundles of
>          some libraries, including the Jackrabbit API
>      --> Deprecate and remove sometime in the future (move to "attic"?)
I think we can just remove it.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Jackrabbit 2.0 support for OSGi/Sling

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ian,

Ian Boston schrieb:

> On 4 Dec 2009, at 08:35, Felix Meschberger wrote:
>

>>>   bundles/jcr/jackrabbit-server
>>>         Embedded Jackrabbit Repository providing Service API to plugin
>>>         LoginModules as OSGi services.
>>>     --> Offer to Jackrabbit
>>
>> ==> Offer to Jackrabbit, but decide on "how" -- the most important
>> question is to ensure our extensions and to even go a step further and
>> support Ian's requirement for fully flexible access control plugin (not
>> requiring to extend DefaultAccessManager)
>
> If we could achieve that it would be fantastic, and save me lots of time
> in the future :), very happy to help.

Excellent ! I will come back as soon as I have sorted out a few things.

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
On 4 Dec 2009, at 08:35, Felix Meschberger wrote:

>>   bundles/jcr/jackrabbit-server
>>         Embedded Jackrabbit Repository providing Service API to
>> plugin
>>         LoginModules as OSGi services.
>>     --> Offer to Jackrabbit
>
> ==> Offer to Jackrabbit, but decide on "how" -- the most important
> question is to ensure our extensions and to even go a step further and
> support Ian's requirement for fully flexible access control plugin
> (not
> requiring to extend DefaultAccessManager)

If we could achieve that it would be fantastic, and save me lots of
time in the future :), very happy to help.
Thanks
Ian

Re: Jackrabbit 2.0 support for OSGi/Sling

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

Here is a consolidated view of the replies with respect to my proposal

Felix Meschberger schrieb:
>    bundles/jcr/api
>          Provides the SlingRepository iterface. This bundle just
>          depends on JCR and has no Jackrabbit dependencies.
>      --> Keep it here

==> We keep it (maybe, depending on how we offer the Jackrabbit-Server
and Jackrabbit-Client bundles....)

>    bundles/jcr/base
>          Provides an abstract base implementation of the SlingRepository
>          interface and has Jackrabbit dependencies.
>      --> Investigate separation of Jackrabbit specific and generic
>          JCR parts and split the bundle in two: The Jackrabbit part goes
>          to Jackrabbit, the JCR-only part remains here

==> Investigate further... Potentially donate to Jackrabbit.

>    bundles/jcr/classloader
>          Depends on the Jackrabbit JCR Classloader but extends it for
>          some Sling specific parts.
>      --> Keep it here

==> Keep it and even continue on Jukka's proposal of migrating the class
loader core from Jackrabbit to Sling.

>    bundles/jcr/contentloader
>          Initial Content Loader, currently has dependency on Jackrabbit
>          API for ACL stuff. For JCR 2.0 this will be converted into a
>          pure JCR 2.0 dependency, hence be completely independent of
>          Jackrabbit
>      --> Keep it or offer to Jackrabbit ?

==> We keep it

>    bundles/jcr/jackrabbit-accessmanager
>          Access Control Management servlets leveraging Sling
>          functionality.
>      --> Keep it here

==> We keep it

>    bundles/jcr/jackrabbit-usermanager
>          User Manager for Jackrabbit (might be converted into a generic
>          JCR 2.0 user manager ?) leveraging Sling functionality.
>      --> Keep it here

==> We keep it

>    bundles/jcr/jackrabbit-server
>          Embedded Jackrabbit Repository providing Service API to plugin
>          LoginModules as OSGi services.
>      --> Offer to Jackrabbit

==> Offer to Jackrabbit, but decide on "how" -- the most important
question is to ensure our extensions and to even go a step further and
support Ian's requirement for fully flexible access control plugin (not
requiring to extend DefaultAccessManager)

>    bundles/jcr/ocm
>          OSGi bundle with Jackrabbit-OCM providing a Sling
>          AdapterFactory for resources. Plugs heavily into Sling.
>      --> Keep it here or offer to Jackrabbit ?

==> We keep it

>    bundles/jcr/resource
>          JCRResourceResolver
>      --> We keep this ;-)

==> Well, of course, we keep it. This is part of our crown jewels ;-)

>    bundles/jcr/webdav
>          (Simple) WebDAV servlet(s)
>      --> Offer to Jackrabbit

==> Offer to Jackrabbit

>    contrib/jcr/compiler
>          Compiles Java Classes into the Repository. This is part of
>          Sling.
>      --> Keep it here

==> We keep it

>    contrib/jcr/jackrabbit-api
>          Old OSGi bundle wrapping of Jackrabbit API. This is not used
>          any longer, since Jackrabbit already provides OSGi bundles of
>          some libraries, including the Jackrabbit API
>      --> Deprecate and remove sometime in the future (move to "attic"?)

==> Removing

>    contrib/jcr/jackrabbit-client
>          Provides access to non-embedded repositories, mostly Jackrabbit
>          oriented.
>      --> Offer to Jackrabbit

== Offer to Jackrabbit

>    contrib/jcr/prefs
>          JCR bindings for the Apache Felix OSGi Preferences Service
>          implementation.
>      --> Keep it here

==> We keep it

I will follow up in separate threads with thoughts about what to offer
to Jackrabbit and how.

I have also prepared a Wiki page for these issues [1]

Regards
Felix

[1]
http://cwiki.apache.org/SLING/donating-jackrabbit-integration-to-apache-jackrabbit.html