Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com> on 2007/01/12 06:18:33 UTC

Auto-generating of BOMs from Virtual Product to Variants

Is there a way to have rule-based auto-generation of BOMs? Maybe this has already been done?

In general, I have a virtual product that can have thousands of variants. I'd like an automated
way to generate all the possible variants.

One aspect I'm gonna be looking at is rule-based auto-generation of variants' productId. This
shouldn't be difficult, and can easily be linked to the QuickAddVariants page (the checkboxes in
column "All"). If someone is already doing this, let me know so we can collaborate?

The bigger problem I have is the auto-generation of BOMs, the lack thereof rather.

Say I have virtual product Bicycle, and variants Bicycle-abcd, where abcd are variables. I'd like
variable 'a' to be the top-most in hierarchy and 'd' the last. For example, my bicycles could come
with different frame sizes 1 through 5, which will require different BOM components Frame1 to
Frame5. I'd want all variants Bicycle-1bcd to have a BOM component of Frame1, Bicycle-2bcd Frame2,
and so on.

Even a semi-automated process will be alright for now.

I'd suggest an enhancement to the EditProductBom screen. Add a function to list all variants,
search can be constrained by selection of (standard) features. This function can be copied from
"Lookup Variant Product" somehow. Allow "Copy BOM" to apply to a number of variants at once.

Any ideas?

Jonathon

Re: Auto-generating of BOMs from Virtual Product to Variants

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Jacopo,

Nice! So, with your implicit rules, I don't even have to touch the Manufacturing Rules.

Take the example ManufacturingExampleData.xml Scott pointed out. I can actually delete the 2 rules
R01 and R02 and it'll all still work. R01 is substitutes WG-COVER-B for WG-COVER if feature is
COLOR:Black, correspondingly for R02 dealing with WG-COVER-S (Silver).

And to further delete rules R03 and R04, I can:

1. Create virtual product WG-WHEELBASE, and variants WG-WHEELBASE-3 and
    WG-WHEELBASE-4 (complete with selectable features for WG-WHEELBASE and
    distinguishing features for variants).

2. Create BOM for WG-WHEELBASE-3 with 3 units of WG-WHEEL-STD; 4 for
    WG-WHEELBASE-4.

3. Remove WG-WHEEL-STD from BOM of WG-FRAME

4. Add WG-WHEELBASE (quantity 1) to BOM of WG-FRAME

Works!

Did you do all these, Jacopo? By the way,
http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=Manufacturing is down.

Jonathon

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Jonathon,

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.
The only answer I can give at the moment is "don't know".  Jacopo may be
able to answer, I only skimmed over this stuff to make sure it could do
what I needed and am yet to actually use it.

Regards
Scott

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Scott,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ti...@sastau.it>

> Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
[...snip...]
> > Original field names may lose their
> > meaning after some evolution, but at least there's less change
> > management/propagation required as compared to if we did a refactor
> > (even a simple rename of field). One example of such vestige is the name
> > "org.ofbiz.odbc" entity group (group no longer requires use of ODBC?).
> >

> Yes, I think that we should change that name to something more generic
> in order to avoid confusion: for example "org.ofbiz.external"

+1 !
Or what is used for : "org.ofbiz.shipext", next time the same (name reflecting use, semantic in it) ...

Jacques

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Jonathon -- Improov wrote:

> But as OFBiz is already using productId for so many intelligent logics
> now, we'll have to leave that "as is", and create a new field like
> marketingProductId or something.

Just to clarify this concept: no OFBiz logic is based on the content of
product ids. They are treated as primary keys and so the business logic
already support what Chris suggests.
However, I agree with you that changing the OFBiz's ui to 'hide' the
product id and show one of the GoodIdentification ids would be a big task.

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.
I never suggested a productId should be marketed or used externally, I
simply mean that I would rather type in GZ-1000 than use a look up
because I can't remember that 100100010 relates to a tiny gizmo.

Scott

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Yes right Chris, a comment is maybe better (though not in log or else... Mmm...)

Jacques

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Leon Torres <le...@oss.minimetria.com>.

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Chris,

You have the tendency to put a lot of concepts into very few paragraphs!

Without going into all the details of your message and branching off into many "big picture"
concepts, I'll just say this. I agree with you. I believe there is a need for a product lookup
key, an additional level of indirection perhaps. Product IDs do change, in my experience (though
not very very much). It's good to have the flexibility to rebrand my products.

But as OFBiz is already using productId for so many intelligent logics now, we'll have to leave
that "as is", and create a new field like marketingProductId or something. Original field names

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
--- Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Is this how OFBiz is currently doing things? I can
> see your point.

This is NOT how OFBiz currently does things.  And
without a community effort to modularize the
components, (IMO) will likely never be the way OFBiz
does things.  The product component and the
manufacturing components feature sets are simply,
individually too rich.  You can't introduce this
concept into the product component without breaking
the manufacturing component (or at least severely
convoluting the conceptualizations as I understand
it).  The value of the manufacturing component is just
too high compared to this benefit for this to be
feasible. If you were able to offer an alternative
product component, then a manufacturing component for
that new product component could be created without
the disruption to the current components.

> But currently, I have a limiting/crippling "time to
> market" constraint. When building for
> flexibility, there can be no end to the quest.

Exactly.  I can propose "what ifs" and "ponder this"
all day long as I have the luxury of never having to
satisfy your boss/client's actual need to sell
something :-) . This is the benefit and bane of open
source software.  The lure to create a better
mousetrap when the only mice you have, you keep as
pets.

> Whatever you said of Product IDs, the same may be
> said of ProductFeature IDs or any other IDs in
> OFBiz.

It's been a while since I've played with
ProductFeature IDs, so I may be off a bit on the
concept, but I don't think the same is true because
those IDs remain internal to your organization, don't
they?

> Usually, I'm forced to deliver the
> application first, see how things run with
> prototype, then figure out where to go next after
> getting a better view. I usually can't decide
> whether to construct a skyscraper on small plateau
> or sprawling shopping mall on large plateau when I
> haven't even climbed up the plateau to see what
> size it really is. Hindsight is cheaper to buy than
> foresight.
>
> Still, back to your discussion with Product IDs. Can
> I use fields like "Internal Name" and
> "Description" for my storefront? I know the
> storefront currently displays Product ID. This is a
> real problem. I'd like a bit, even if just a tiny
> amount, of discussion or ideas thrown in at this
> moment for this topic.

This is largely simply what you're choosing to show
the user of the site through the UI (except where
there are textbox inputs)  your link information can
have the Product.productId to send to your services
but have the words that show up on the screen be
Product.internalName.

> (To Boss: Any chance you'll be changing your Product
> IDs like Chris said?)
>
> Jonathon

Regards,
Chris

Re: Auto-generating of BOMs from Virtual Product to Variants

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Chris,

Is this how OFBiz is currently doing things? I can see your point.

But currently, I have a limiting/crippling "time to market" constraint. When building for
flexibility, there can be no end to the quest. Whatever you said of Product IDs, the same may be
said of ProductFeature IDs or any other IDs in OFBiz. Usually, I'm forced to deliver the

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.
Good points so I guess it depends on the industry, but knowing an id
versus using a look up everytime you deal your products makes a big
difference to me.

Regards
Scott

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.