Posted to dev@iceberg.apache.org by Ryan Blue <bl...@apache.org> on 2021/03/05 23:39:58 UTC

[DISCUSS] March board report

Hi everyone,

Time for another board report! Here’s my current draft. It’s a little early
since I’m going to be gone next week. If you want to add or update
something, please comment soon and I’ll update it.

Thanks!

Apache Iceberg is a table format for huge analytic datasets that is designed
for high performance and ease of use.
Issues:

There are no issues requiring board attention.
Membership Data:

Apache Iceberg was founded 2020-05-19 (9 months ago)
There are currently 13 committers and 9 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 7:5.

Community changes, past quarter:

   - No new PMC members. Last addition was Anton Okolnychyi on 2020-05-19.
   - Peter Vary was added as committer on 2021-01-23

Project Activity:

0.11.0 was released on 2021-01-26 and included several important new
features:

   - Support for partition evolution
   - Spark SQL extensions with support for MERGE INTO, DELETE FROM, and new
   DDL
   - Spark support for table maintenance through stored procedures
   - Streaming reads, filter pushdown, and experimental CDC writes in Flink
   - AWS module with better integration for S3 and Glue metastore
   - Nessie metastore module

The community is working toward finalizing the v2 format spec and the next
release. There is good progress on metrics collection for Avro data files,
Hive integration, Spark UPDATE support, and more table maintenance actions.
Community Health:

The overall number of pull requests merged in the last quarter decreased
from
the previous quarter, but this is mostly due to annual holidays. Leading up
the release in January, the project set a new record at 78 PRs merged in a
week.
More importantly, although there was a decrease in PRs merged, the number of
contributors still increased slightly, to 50 code contributors in the
quarter.
Peter Vary was also added as a committer in January.

--
Ryan Blue