Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2002/03/31 23:48:26 UTC

[vote] RE: shortening package names

(proposals at bottom)

Okay, this last post was not thought through well.
Too much coding does that to a guy :)

I, of course, ment ORG.apache. Avalon, I ment without
the org as that is a gaming something.

Cornerstone - a service can be one block or it can
be multiple blocks. A block can be a service or it
can not be a service.
I've never seen a use case where a block is not
useful as a service, though. So we don't need to
split stuff this way as far as package naming goes.
We could do with a naming convention, though.

Phoenix - no-one really programs to all those
interfaces outside of phoenix anyway. All the
stuff users access is in phoenix.interfaces.*
(or will be).

> Phoenix is near-beta.  I would not be averse to making
> it beta now, with the pre-requisite that the management
> interface be built for final release.

Like pete said, it needs some cleaning. I'll leave
further discussion for the phoenix list tho'.

> > For the others, I propose a 4.2 and 1.1 release,
<snip myself>

berin:
> I would have two jars:  A ${project}-compat.jar
> to have the old API stuff, and the new official
> jar so that external projects can move at their
> own pace.

yup. The versioning I proposed is not fair as we
are talking about some major changes (the api
becomes completely unusable without a recompile).

------------------------
So the proposal becomes:

I propose we strip out the "avalon" part in the
package hierarchy for the next major release of
the various sub-projects.

So, for:
avalon framework 5 - org.apache.framework.*
avalon excalibur 5 - org.apache.excalibur.*
avalon cornerstone 5 - org.apache.cornerstone.*
avalon phoenix 5 - org.apache.phoenix.*
avalon logkit 2 - org.apache.logkit.*

-------------------
proposal 2 becomes:

I propose we strip out the "blocks" and
"services" part in the package hierarchy before
the alpha release of cornerstone (v4). We will
release a cornerstone-compat.jar as well
that keeps the separation.

cheers,

- Leo

Re: [vote] RE: shortening package names

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 07:48, Leo Simons wrote:
> ------------------------
> So the proposal becomes:
>
> I propose we strip out the "avalon" part in the
> package hierarchy for the next major release of
> the various sub-projects.
>
> So, for:
> avalon framework 5 - org.apache.framework.*

+1

> avalon excalibur 5 - org.apache.excalibur.*

+1

> avalon cornerstone 5 - org.apache.cornerstone.*

+1

> avalon phoenix 5 - org.apache.phoenix.*

+1

> avalon logkit 2 - org.apache.logkit.*

-1

No reason to change it from

org.apache.log

--
Cheers,

Pete

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
                -- Voltaire