Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca> on 2022/09/05 16:32:04 UTC

RE: Copy Paste still an issue - solution

I just tried -J-Dorg.netbeans.NbClipboard.level=FINEST. It resolved the issue.

Initially I thought it only worked if it was the first switch in the list but it turns out that was my fault. I added the switch at the end of the file by pressing Enter to open a blank line in my editor. In my stupidity I did not notice that I was ending the list of switches when I pressed Enter. So, for about 20 minutes today I thought it only worked if it was the first switch. When I recognized my dumb mistake, all I had to do is add the switch to the list anywhere by inserting it rather than creating a new line. So far, the results are consistent.

Ken

PS: My editor displayed the conf file with word wrap on. This made it look like most every switch was on its own line and that is why I used Enter to create a space for the switch.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 5 Sept 2022 at 17:32, Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca> wrote:
> I just tried -J-Dorg.netbeans.NbClipboard.level=FINEST. It resolved the issue.
> PPS: Consider, after suitable testing, making -J-Dorg.netbeans.NbClipboard.level=FINEST a switch in netbeans.cnf by default.

That just controls the logging level!  You're not the first person who
has suggested that enabling finest logging fixes the issue though.

Please try the other two switches as well.

Thanks,

Neil

Re: Copy Paste still an issue - solution

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 6 Sept 2022 at 11:24, Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The windows launcher is
> implemented differently

Yes, AFAIK .conf is not executed as a shell script there! :-)

Neil

Re: Copy Paste still an issue - solution

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
On 05.09.22 18:51, Ernie Rael wrote:
> On 9/5/22 9:32 AM, Kenneth Fogel wrote:
>> I just tried -J-Dorg.netbeans.NbClipboard.level=FINEST. It resolved
>> the issue.
>
> Turning on logging fixes it, the good news and the bad news, sigh.
> Maybe there's some code that checks the logging level and does things
> differently, that would be good; better than a timing problem.
>
> -ernie
>
> PS. Does netbeans.conf handles trailing '\' as line continuation?

it should work on linux (potentially mac too). The windows launcher is
implemented differently and does not support multi line properties in
the config (would be nice if it would).

-mbien

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 5 Sept 2022 at 17:52, Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com> wrote:

> On 9/5/22 9:32 AM, Kenneth Fogel wrote:
> > I just tried -J-Dorg.netbeans.NbClipboard.level=FINEST. It resolved the issue.
>
> Turning on logging fixes it, the good news and the bad news, sigh. Maybe
> there's some code that checks the logging level and does things
> differently, that would be good; better than a timing problem.

Possibly.  There's the call to logFlavors() which extracts all the
clipboard data -
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/master/platform/o.n.bootstrap/src/org/netbeans/NbClipboard.java#L288

Whether either of the other two flags help would probably still be
useful to know.  Obviously without logging enabled now though!

Neil

Re: Copy Paste still an issue - solution

Posted by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com>.