Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Cokorda Raka Angga Jananuraga <do...@yahoo.com> on 2003/05/14 06:04:19 UTC

Multiple perspectives on looking at file organizations

Hello,

I need to build an MS-Office add-in (client), which
will interact with a centrally managed document
management system (server). Office user will be able
to organize & share files (with member of his
workgroup) easily directly from Office app.

At the beginning, I envisioned there will be one only
way (perspective) user can organize her documents;
that is: the documents organized around projects.

Just recently, my mentor asked me to extend the
concept such that multiple perspectives to view
document organization is possible. It should be easily
customizable to suit user's need / preference. He
mentioned something about the way Mac users can
interact with their file system. I've checked the
Apple site, and am not sure whether I've found
reference documents that is relevant with this
context. (too bad I can't afford Mac right now :).

BTW, I perceive that the issue of the design & arch of
the app will revolve arounds things like policy
enforcement [such as whether changing perspective will
maintain access restriction to the documents],
cognitive ergonomics [what are the most convenient
ways for most people to navigate through logical file
hierarchy], etc (?)

I'm in great need for relevant documents such that I
can come up with comprehensive product plan & design +
listing all possible issues that need to be tackled in
the development. Can you help? I've searched over
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cs for theoritical
backgrounds, downloaded some papers (using keywords
like: document management, file system browser,
logical file system, file system navigation, etc)...
but haven't felt the "click" inside my head.

Also, I'm trying to find out what engines / frameworks
can be used to achieve the product objectives. I've
been trying out Slide for a couple of days (however I
haven't got my hands dirty with it by working with the
API), and I'm very interested to use it. Can anyone
point me to resources where I can learn some examples
(using Slide) of implementation of logical file
organization?

GREAT Thanks in Advance,
Raka