Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Mike Scott <mi...@scottsonline.org.uk> on 2012/06/30 13:28:03 UTC

fonts not printing correctly -'bold' not bold enough when text rotated during printing.

An odd one. I made some invitations using an ornate font, laid out on a
landscape page in Draw (OOo 3.2/ubuntu 10.04). Some text (in a text box)
was font size 26pt, bold selected.

All looked well on-screen. However, when printed (either to paper or pdf
printer) characters following a space appeared much bolder than the
remainder - the effect was objectionable.

A little experimentation shows that
* the 'after space' characters are probably correct - it's the others
that aren't bold enough. IMBW
* It only seems to affect certain fonts (I've tried Amazone BT and URW
Chancery L, which show the problem; Times Roman does not)
* it only occurs for a landscape page - portrait works just fine.
Presumably something in the font render doesn't like rotating the text.
* Altering font size doesn't seem to affect the problem (within the
limits I've tried).

Exporting as PDF (rather going through the print dialogue) is fine too
(which is my work-round for the time being).

Final note, because after writing the above, I put a duplicate of the
text in a text box and rotated it 90 degrees. Shows that bold text /not/
rotated during printing is OK, text rotated during printing isn't bold
enough except characters following a space. Weird.

Anyone else met this one?

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England

Re: fonts not printing correctly -'bold' not bold enough when text rotated during printing.

Posted by Mike Scott <mi...@scottsonline.org.uk>.
On 30/06/12 15:05, Regina Henschel wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Mike Scott schrieb:
>> An odd one. I made some invitations using an ornate font, laid out on a
>> landscape page in Draw (OOo 3.2/ubuntu 10.04). Some text (in a text box)
>> was font size 26pt, bold selected.
>>
>> All looked well on-screen. However, when printed (either to paper or pdf
>> printer) characters following a space appeared much bolder than the
>> remainder - the effect was objectionable.
>
> That might be a problem on printer side. What printer do you use? Please
> examine the printer properties. Perhaps there is a setting like "Sent
> TrueType as bitmap"?

Even with such disparate printer output devices? Both are based on
postscript though; I don't know if that gives a clue.

There are no relevant options in the respective printer dialogues - just
resolution and quality settings.

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Mike,

Mike Scott schrieb:
> An odd one. I made some invitations using an ornate font, laid out on a
> landscape page in Draw (OOo 3.2/ubuntu 10.04). Some text (in a text box)
> was font size 26pt, bold selected.
>
> All looked well on-screen. However, when printed (either to paper or pdf
> printer) characters following a space appeared much bolder than the
> remainder - the effect was objectionable.
>
> A little experimentation shows that
> * the 'after space' characters are probably correct - it's the others
> that aren't bold enough. IMBW
> * It only seems to affect certain fonts (I've tried Amazone BT and URW
> Chancery L, which show the problem; Times Roman does not)
> * it only occurs for a landscape page - portrait works just fine.
> Presumably something in the font render doesn't like rotating the text.
> * Altering font size doesn't seem to affect the problem (within the
> limits I've tried).
>
> Exporting as PDF (rather going through the print dialogue) is fine too
> (which is my work-round for the time being).
>
> Final note, because after writing the above, I put a duplicate of the
> text in a text box and rotated it 90 degrees. Shows that bold text /not/
> rotated during printing is OK, text rotated during printing isn't bold
> enough except characters following a space. Weird.
>
> Anyone else met this one?

That might be a problem on printer side. What printer do you use? Please
examine the printer properties. Perhaps there is a setting like "Sent
TrueType as bitmap"?

Kind regards
Regina