Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Yu Jie <we...@yahoo.com> on 2005/04/11 07:48:03 UTC

about Jakarta Slide commercial use

Dear,

    Our organization is planning a big project which
is a Linux-Embedded system and will be sold as
products in the market.
    It is necessary for us to choose a WebDAV product.
>From internet, we found your WebDAV product -- Jakarta
Slide.
    As we now basicly have decided to choose Jakarta
Slide in our Linux-embedded system, we would like to
know wether we have to obtain some special license or
patent to be allowed to use Jakarta Slide commercially
because we will use Jakarta Slide in our product to be
sold in the market. Though we know that Jakarta Slide
is under the Apache License 2.0 , we are still not
quite sure what to do with the situation of commercial
use.
    If so, could you tell us the operation flow and
how much money we have to pay for it if necessary.
    Thank you very much!

Best regards and Merry Christmas!

Yu Jie
2005.4.11

Re: about Jakarta Slide commercial use

Posted by Karl Øie <ka...@gan.no>.
http://apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt

I think apache license allows you to use apache projects freely in your
own project ,commercial or not, as long as all original work is noted
and all provided licenses are included in your redistribution.

I am no expert on the issue but the Apache License differs from other
open-source licenses since you are not forced to commit your own
project under the same license as the project you are using as a base.

Please note that Apache does not grant rights to Apache Foundation or
Apache Project's trademarks and names so you cannot call your project
anything related to Apache without committing it to The Apache
Foundation. Neither does Apache grant any warranty or liability for the
use of any of their projects.

And by the way : Merry Christmas? You´re either very late or very
early!?! :-)

Mvh Karl

On 11. apr. 2005, at 07.48, Yu Jie wrote:

> Dear,
>
>     Our organization is planning a big project which
> is a Linux-Embedded system and will be sold as
> products in the market.
>     It is necessary for us to choose a WebDAV product.
> From internet, we found your WebDAV product -- Jakarta
> Slide.
>     As we now basicly have decided to choose Jakarta
> Slide in our Linux-embedded system, we would like to
> know wether we have to obtain some special license or
> patent to be allowed to use Jakarta Slide commercially
> because we will use Jakarta Slide in our product to be
> sold in the market. Though we know that Jakarta Slide
> is under the Apache License 2.0 , we are still not
> quite sure what to do with the situation of commercial
> use.
>     If so, could you tell us the operation flow and
> how much money we have to pay for it if necessary.
>     Thank you very much!
>

> Best regards and Merry Christmas!
>
> Yu Jie
> 2005.4.11