Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Quinton McCombs <qm...@nequalsone.com> on 2003/04/28 20:24:41 UTC

[VOTE] Location of Avalon based services

I have been talking to Jason about the Avalonization of the Fulcrum
services.  I had intended to take the code that is in Plexus (already
Avalonized), apply the changes made to the coupled services, and then
update the Fulcrum CVS repository.  Jason has suggested that I just
apply the changes that have been made to the coupled services to what is
the plexus cvs repository and then we just use that code.  This bring up
the obvious question on if we want to maintain the Avalonized services
in Apache's CVS or the plexus CVS.

So, use the plexus version

Or

Move the code into the Fulcrum repo?

Re: [VOTE] Location of Avalon based services

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 05:33, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
> "Quinton McCombs" <qm...@nequalsone.com> writes:
>
> >the obvious question on if we want to maintain the Avalonized services
> >in Apache's CVS or the plexus CVS.
>
> That's IMHO pretty simple to answer (for me):
>
> Turbine is an Apache project. Plexus isn't. Turbine, as an Apache
> project has some sort of charter and framework. Plexus is Jasons'
> brain-child and while he says that he is pretty liberal in giving CVS
> access, there is not much visible yet beyond that. Plexus is pushed
> ahead by Jason and people who work with Jason. Jason took Plexus and
> Summit deliberatly off-Apache because he liked it that way.
>
> BTW: I'd like to get clarification on one issue. Jason can you help
> here?: Plexus is an Avalon container.

Plexus is a framework for making containers, the Avalon API is the first
implementation. So it behaves as an Avalon container old ECM components
or the new Avalon flavor components will work.

> In this it is simlar to ECM,
> Fortress, Phoenix, isn't it?

ECM, Fortress, Merlin and Phoenix are all containers of some flavour or
another. The focus of Plexus is runtime configurability, long-term
evolution and integration with Maven.

> Summit is the Avalon based, Turbine
> derived framework engine, which runs in the Plexus container. So
> shouldn't this be a "summit repository"?

Summit is really just an assembly of various components. Summit is a
composite component so the components that are currently used in Summit
will probably just be split out. The people can mix and match as they
see fit. Summit will really be a set of default components that are
useful. Some of the components are web specific but I don't think they
need to be separated. Someone might take some of the components in
Summit, make a couple of their own components and roll their own
framework. I'm more interested in adaptability and being able to quickly
satisfy requirements more than component reuse. People can obviously use
existing components but to me what's more important is providing the
infrastructure where people can assemble what they require, be able to
specialize quickly and not be burdened by massive APIs.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Component repo (was: RE: [VOTE] Location of Avalon based services)

Posted by Quinton McCombs <qm...@nequalsone.com>.

I would agree with this.  For now, I think that we should use Fulcrum
for for the components until a more suitable location can be found.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Quinton McCombs" <qm...@nequalsone.com> writes:

>the obvious question on if we want to maintain the Avalonized services
>in Apache's CVS or the plexus CVS.

That's IMHO pretty simple to answer (for me):

Turbine is an Apache project. Plexus isn't. Turbine, as an Apache
project has some sort of charter and framework. Plexus is Jasons'
brain-child and while he says that he is pretty liberal in giving CVS
access, there is not much visible yet beyond that. Plexus is pushed
ahead by Jason and people who work with Jason. Jason took Plexus and
Summit deliberatly off-Apache because he liked it that way.

BTW: I'd like to get clarification on one issue. Jason can you help
here?: Plexus is an Avalon container. In this it is simlar to ECM,
Fortress, Phoenix, isn't it? Summit is the Avalon based, Turbine
derived framework engine, which runs in the Plexus container. So
shouldn't this be a "summit repository"?

So to me the votes are:

>So, use the plexus version

-1