Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2015/11/10 22:34:35 UTC

9.0.x, HTTP/2, Windows

Just a quick update on the issues Violeta reported with 9.0.x, HTTP/2
and Windows.

I can repeat the Chrome + WebSocket == failure result

For ( Chrome | FF ) + stockticker, I see a long pause before any content
appears, then I get about 30 lines, then lines start appearing
individually as expected.

No idea on the WebSocket issue. Stockticker looks like some sort of
buffering / lack of flush issue.

Now 1.2.2 is out, looking at these is next on my list.

Mark

Re: 9.0.x, HTTP/2, Windows

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

> Since I had everything set up, I took a look at the network traffic and
> all I was seeing was a single request (over h2) for drawboard.xhtml.
>
> I did some digging and found the Chrome was reporting errors in that
> page because no content-type was set. I've fixed that header (and a
> couple of others) and now the WebSocket examples are working over h2 in
> Chrome.

That's quite a surprise. Well, so everything's fine then.

Rémy

Re: 9.0.x, HTTP/2, Windows

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 10/11/2015 21:57, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 10/11/2015 21:54, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
>>
>>> Just a quick update on the issues Violeta reported with 9.0.x, HTTP/2
>>> and Windows.
>>>
>>> I can repeat the Chrome + WebSocket == failure result
>>>

>> What is the expected test result ? If using ALPN, chrome connects using
>> HTTP/2, which then has no way to upgrade to something else, including
>> websockets. Effectively, this means that websockets applications won't
>> work, but this looks normal to me (and it fails also on Linux).
>
> Ah. That would explain it. We'd need to put WebSockets on a connector
> without ALPN support then.

Since I had everything set up, I took a look at the network traffic and
all I was seeing was a single request (over h2) for drawboard.xhtml.

I did some digging and found the Chrome was reporting errors in that
page because no content-type was set. I've fixed that header (and a
couple of others) and now the WebSocket examples are working over h2 in
Chrome.

>>> For ( Chrome | FF ) + stockticker, I see a long pause before any content
>>> appears, then I get about 30 lines, then lines start appearing
>>> individually as expected.
>>>

>> I didn't notice any issue on stockticker however (also on Linux).
>
> Yeah, it works on Linux. Not sure what is going on. May be a Windows
> network issue. I'll need to fire up Wireshark to check exactly what is
> happening when.
>
> Thanks for the additional info.

I've confirmed with Wireshark that the stock prices are sent by Tomcat
and I can't see anything different compared to HTTP/1.1. It looks like
some sort of buffering issue but I'm not sure where the buffering is
taking place. Everything works as expected when I use curl so I suspect
a browser buffering issue.

Mark

Re: 9.0.x, HTTP/2, Windows

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.