Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Phillip Rhodes <rh...@yahoo.com> on 2004/11/16 19:21:46 UTC

Product catalog/webdav integration advice sought.

I am writing an open source cart, a real one, one that someone can
actually use;)
Currently, my product descriptions are stored in a RDBMS, but I would
rather store the images and product descriptions on a webdav server.
My java-based tapestry application will communicate with the webdav
server to pull the html pieces out of web dav to build the product pages.

I am thinking that I do not want to do the query of webdav and assemble
of the product pages in real time.  Can someone confirm that this would
be a bad idea?

My idea is to use some sort of cache that would be used to build the
pages.  The RDBMS would still be used to store the pointers to where the
descriptions are in the webdav server.  I would hit the RDBMS, get what
descriptions are needed, get the descriptions from the cache and build
the page.

My worry with the cache is that in the case of a huge product category,
the cache would be so large that unweldy.  Perhaps, I should keep the
descriptions in the RDBMS and run a sync between the RDBMS and webdav.

The power of having the product descriptions on webdav is that html
designers can work on product descriptions and export them to this
webdav server.  Currently, they would have to create the description and
use an administration tool to write it to the RDBMS.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this problem!

Re: Product catalog/webdav integration advice sought.

Posted by James Mason <ma...@apache.org>.
If the only reason you want WebDAV is to give designers direct access to
product descriptions, you could write a custom Store over your database.
This would give you direct database access to the information (which
seems to be a priority) while retaining the benefits of WebDAV.

If I were in your place I would probably start with using WebDAV to
access all of the data. If that proved too slow, I would either explore
caching options or refactor the code to go directly to the database.
Unless you know for sure that something is going to be slow before hand,
it's generally best to get it working then optimize later.

-James