Posted to dev@any23.apache.org by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/09 23:59:25 UTC

[DISCUSS] Any23 Community

**REPOSTING THIS HERE FROM PRIVATE@**

Hi All,
After debating this in my own head for some time, I thought I would bring
it to our private@ list in the hope of invoking discussion about our
community.

I am optimistic that the Any23 community is not dead, that I am not banging
my head off of a brick wall, and that we can build and push more releases
in the process.

I would also however like to consider myself a realist. Meaning that if the
above is not possible then that needs to be recognized and acknowledged.

The last while (move to Git resulting in the partial stagnation of the
codebase, broken builds, etc.) has been a difficult one for Any23, however
that is not to say that we can't turn it around.

I stepped up to take on release manager role as I thought it beneficial for
us to push a software release... this however does not seem to be gaining
as much traction as I would have liked. We currently have one VOTE (my own)
and one detailed analysis and comment from Andy.

I am continually learning lessons of how to build community, but I can't do
it on my own. I am asking that we (as a community and project) make a
decision as to where we want to go, what we want the community to look
like, and generally what is going to happen with Any23?

Until now I've never uttered the words "Apache" and "Attic" in the same
sentence on a project mailing list that I'm involved in, however I think it
is also appropriate to mention that this is an option for Any23 should
there not be interest to keep it going. I state this as a very very last
resort and would personally really hate to see Any23 go there.

Thanks

Lewis

Re: [DISCUSS] Any23 Community

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
same here, I am available to review the RC!

and thanks *a lot* Lewis for the extraordinary work!
-Simo

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

Re: [DISCUSS] Any23 Community

Re: [DISCUSS] Any23 Community

Re: [DISCUSS] Any23 Community

Posted by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>.
On 10 May 2013 08:15, Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> I'm replying to my own mail, however the 1st paragraph of this particular
> reply is in response to Peter, his message and to the point(s) he made over
> on private@ regarding Git, etc.
>
> I completely understand about your workflow and the way that you practice.
> There is no issue with this. We made the effort to move to Git with the
> hope that this would work better for us and it is just a shame that we've
> not had more of an opportunity to test that workflow. All hope is not lost
> though!

Once the community understands the basic Git instructions and how easy it
is to use Git branches (especially if we can use inline code review in the
GitHub/BitBucket style) it should be a smoother process.

> I've learnt that in the open source world, no two communities are the same.
> Any23 is no exception in this regard. My issue here is not that there are
> only one or two of us developing various parts of the library for our own
> requirements. My issue is that the reason we develop is to push stable and
> improved releases... however we can't satisfy this goal as we can barely
> get ANYONE to look at the release candidate.

Andy replied to the previous thread with a pointer to the list of steps
that the Jena project uses, but until I have been through it a few times it
will still require me finding a few hours to sit down and focus on it. One
step we could do to make it easier may be to enable the rat plugin by
default. If the rat plugin was on by default, as annoying as that may turn
out to be, we would have picked up missing license headers like the three I
missed in my recent Extractor Factory patch before they find their way into
the Git master branch.

> I don't have a problem persisting with effort within a small community.
> We've done it over in Apache Gora and the project has been moving in a
> positive direction for the last while now. I've tried to bring as many
> positives from that experience over to Any23 as possible, but it seems that
> we are really stuck in the mud here. It seems that we relied quite (maybe
> too) heavily on our mentors and champions(s), who have now moved on to
> other personal and strategic interests. In the resulting dust cloud, the
> realization has gradually surfaced (from my perspective anyway), that we
> have struggled to sustain and develop the community around Any23 and
> ourselves. It now appears that review of a release candidate is not
> possible as we need to obtain a level of quorum before we can progress with
> release artifacts. The group of individuals that brought Any23 to the
> Apache Incubator were (and hopefully are) aware of this process, and I am
> optimistic that a nudge of sorts will at least enable us to VOTE and
> release Any23 0.8.0.

After discounting the period where we had svn switched to read-only and git
switched on but as read-only, the time frame where contributions have
bottomed out is fairly small, especially when you take into account the 3
large feature branches that I have sitting at GitHub which are waiting to
be cleaned up and were partially waiting for Sesame-2.7.0 which has been
out the door for a few weeks now. Partly at least, the major refactoring of
Sesame in 2.7 may have slowed progress on Any23, as I would have liked to
have upgraded for 0.8.0 but the timeframes did not work out that way.

Overall, I am okay with a community of 2 developers, as long as there are
enough people who are well versed in Apache ways to help with release
verification. It would also be okay from my perspective if Any23 was merged
with SesameTools [1] as a non-Apache project, if it is dropped from Apache.
Josh Shinavier and I have been maintaining SesameTools at GitHub--in
between his PhD studies and my post-doc/work projects--and it has very
similar goals to Any23, being a utility wrapper around OpenRDF Sesame.

Cheers,

Peter

[1] https://github.com/joshsh/sesametools

Re: [DISCUSS] Any23 Community

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi ,

[...]

What I would like to propose is that we raise some action(s) on where we
want to go as a community. It is not an option to let this simply fizzle
out and we do not do ourselves any justice to let things turn in that
direction.

I will roll back the 0.8.0 release candidate as there are issues we need to
deal with. After that I would like to monitor input on this thread and
really see (possibly from more experienced intervention elsewhere) where we
can take Any23.

As you may have noticed, I mentioned the attic, because it is an option for
us. We need to keep it as an option and be aware that it may be a suitable
place for Any23. This is of course IMHO directly dependent upon the input
we receive from other Any23 list observers and community participants.

Thanks

Lewis

--
*Lewis*

Re: [DISCUSS] Any23 Community

Posted by Michele Mostarda <mi...@gmail.com>.
Dear mates,

On 13 May 2013 08:29, Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/5/10 Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>
>
> > Hi mate,
> >
> > please apologize for the late reply, there are no excuses from my side
> > but the short version is that I am in the middle of a ramp-up time at
> > work in my new Job, that I just started on December, and currently I
> > have almost 0 cycles to everything I like to do.
> >
> > I'll sends a more detailed email during the weekend to share my thoughts.
> >
> > Anyway, I am with you on hating to see Any23 moved to attic or
> > somewhere else to mark that the project lost interest - please
> > consider me `currently idle` but I haven't left.
> >

> I'm also in a similar situation, I've almost no time to spend on stuff
> other than work at the moment so please apologize for that.

I'm in the same situation, no resources to spend over this project ATM,
considering
my work activities are moving on different needs, not sure how can I help
in the immediate future.

> > Thanks a lot for leading that discussion, much more than appreciated!
> >

> +1, let's try to keep Any23 rocking.

+1 for me too!!

> Thanks for your understanding.
> Tommaso