Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2004/04/13 14:11:40 UTC

[PMC-VOTE] Bylaws

Instead of replicating the text inside this mail let me just point to
the Wiki and say that we are talking about the version of
<http://wiki.apache.org/gump/Drafts/ProjectBylaws> that's been there
on 2004-04-13 at 12:00 UTC.  I'll simply trust in our Wiki versioning
support.

Voting will go on for a week and may be closed before that if all PMC
members have cast their votes.

Stefan

Dear PMC members, please cast you votes on the proposed bylaws for the
Apache Gump project.

[ ] Yes, let's adopt the draft.
[ ] No, because ...

Re: [PMC-VOTE] Bylaws

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

Component Community -- http://componentplanet.org/
Component Glue      -- http://jicarilla.org/

Re: [PMC-VOTE] Bylaws

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>I'm uncomfortable with the two places where the bylaws talk about
>>requiring unanimous votes.  Both talk about the extremely rare case
>>of removing a committer and/or PMC member.  Particularly in the case
>>of a rogue committer, swift action may be required.
>
> Would this become any better if we used any arbitrary majority number
> like 3/4 or 2/3?  I don't think so.

No.

>>>From a board perspective, the chair of the PMC is held accountable
>>to such decisions.
>
> Exactly.
>
> Even if the bylaws don't spell this out, the chair would be able to
> act quickly on his/her own.  Do you think we need to clarify the
> "superhuman powers" of the chair?

Not necessarily.  What concerns me is the explicit spelling out of
bylaws that appear to define a process that not only is never expected
to be executed, but would be counter productive if attempted.

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  With or without any changes related to this comment, you have my
+1 to proceed with these bylaws.  Bylaws can always be amended.

Re: [PMC-VOTE] Bylaws

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: [PMC-VOTE] Bylaws

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
Sam Ruby wrote:
> I'm uncomfortable with the two places where the bylaws talk about
> requiring unanimous votes.  Both talk about the extremely rare case of
> removing a committer and/or PMC member.  Particularly in the case of a
> rogue committer, swift action may be required.

isn't that a case of "PMC chair overrules" anyway, something ensured by
the ASF bylaws?

I read it as "there needs to be consensus, or the PMC chair needs to
exercise authority, and in fact, the latter has to happen anyway".

Re: [PMC-VOTE] Bylaws

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
I'm uncomfortable with the two places where the bylaws talk about
requiring unanimous votes.  Both talk about the extremely rare case of
removing a committer and/or PMC member.  Particularly in the case of a
rogue committer, swift action may be required.

My concern is that unamimous does not scale to the current "all active
committers who have been around long enough to establish a track record"
approach to defining PMC membership.

 From a board perspective, the chair of the PMC is held accountable to
such decisions.  If such a chair were ever to run amuck, then the board
would simply replace the chair.

- Sam Ruby

Re: [PMC-VOTE] Bylaws

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> Instead of replicating the text inside this mail let me just point to
> the Wiki and say that we are talking about the version of
> <http://wiki.apache.org/gump/Drafts/ProjectBylaws> that's been there
> on 2004-04-13 at 12:00 UTC.  I'll simply trust in our Wiki versioning
> support.
>
> Voting will go on for a week and may be closed before that if all PMC
> members have cast their votes.
>
> Stefan
>
> Dear PMC members, please cast you votes on the proposed bylaws for the
> Apache Gump project.

+1

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [PMC-VOTE] Bylaws

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> Dear PMC members, please cast you votes on the proposed bylaws for
> the Apache Gump project.
>
> [X] Yes, let's adopt the draft.
> [ ] No, because ...

Stefan

[PMC-VOTE-RESULT] Bylaws

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@bost.de>.
On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> Voting will go on for a week and may be closed before that if all
> PMC members have cast their votes.

We are far away from "all PMC members have cast their votes", but the
votes we have are enough for lazy consensus, so the vote has passed.

Stefan

Re: [PMC-VOTE] Bylaws

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> Dear PMC members, please cast you votes on the proposed bylaws for the
> Apache Gump project.
>
> [ X] Yes, let's adopt the draft.
> [ ] No, because ...

regards