Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Andrey Klochkov <ak...@griddynamics.com> on 2013/09/25 00:24:56 UTC

windows support in trunk?

Is Windows support in trunk currently? Or should I still use trunk-win to
experiment with Hadoop on Windows? I've seen number of windows related
patches going into trunk that's why I'm asking. Thanks!

I know I just need to ask Chris Nauroth, but sending here just in case it's
useful for others.

--
Andrey Klochkov

Re: windows support in trunk?

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.
I use native versions of sh.exe and tar.exe from GnuWin32 tools (
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/). You don't need to build from an sh
command prompt, it just has to be in the path. cygwin is not supported any
more.

You are right about the missing mr-jobhistory-daemon.cmd.
mr-jobhistory-daemon.sh looks like a wrapper to start the job history
daemon using mapred.sh.

    nohup nice -n $HADOOP_MAPRED_NICENESS "$HADOOP_MAPRED_HOME"/bin/mapred
--config $HADOOP_CONF_DIR $command "$@" > "$log" 2>&1 < /dev/null &

For testing can you try something equivalent like 'mapred.cmd -config ..
start historyserver'? Feel free to file a Jira if you come across missing
functionality on Windows.

Thanks.

RE: windows support in trunk?

Posted by Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com>.
Please don’t have Cygwin on the path while running Hadoop. Its not needed
and might actually interfere in case there is some Unix functionality that
is still missing from the Windows utility that is compiled for Hadoop. Only
sh and tar are required for building and unit testing. Win32 versions of
these are available freely.

All sh scripts for Hadoop should have cmd equivalents. Please file a jira if
you find one that’s missing. Usually porting them is simple and patches are
welcome!
You should be able to follow the same flow to install and bring up the
cluster as you do with Unix.

You will find that a winutils.exe file is built in your hadoop build and
this is required to be able to run Hadoop on Windows. It translates Unix
like file permissions and provides other Win32 native functionality for the
Java code. IIRC this exe needs to be available in the %HADOOP_HOME%/bin
directory.

Bikas

--
Andrey Klochkov
Grid Dynamics

Re: windows support in trunk?

Posted by Andrey Klochkov <ak...@griddynamics.com>.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> Andrey, thanks for testing your patch on Windows.
>
> cygwin is no longer required. Instead, please install the free Windows SDK
> and build from an SDK command prompt. This is documented in BUILDING.txt.
> Please feel free to email the dev list if you get stuck at any step.
>

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 10:31 PM, Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
>
> > BUILDING.txt in the source code has a section for building on Windows.
> >
> > Bikas

Andrey Klochkov
Grid Dynamics
Skype: aklochkov_gd
www.griddynamics.com
aklochkov@griddynamics.com

Re: windows support in trunk?

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.
Andrey, thanks for testing your patch on Windows.

cygwin is no longer required. Instead, please install the free Windows SDK
and build from an SDK command prompt. This is documented in BUILDING.txt.
Please feel free to email the dev list if you get stuck at any step.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 10:31 PM, Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> BUILDING.txt in the source code has a section for building on Windows.
>
> Bikas

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

RE: windows support in trunk?

Posted by Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Andrey Klochkov
Grid Dynamics

Re: windows support in trunk?

Posted by Andrey Klochkov <ak...@griddynamics.com>.
Great, thanks!

One more question on Windows support: how do I create a distribution and
run it? It's for dev purposes - testing a patch to work on Windows, so I
can't really use HDP. On Linux/OSX I just do a build with -Pdist and then
just use startXXX scripts from hadoop-project-dist/target to run all the
daemons. Are there any docs on how to do it on Windows? E.g. do I need
cygwin? I can build sources without cygwin, but hadoop-project-dist
requires shell executable to build the tarball.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 3:31 PM, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2013, at 3:24 PM, Andrey Klochkov <ak...@griddynamics.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Is Windows support in trunk currently? Or should I still use trunk-win to
> > experiment with Hadoop on Windows? I've seen number of windows related
> > patches going into trunk that's why I'm asking. Thanks!
> >
> > I know I just need to ask Chris Nauroth, but sending here just in case
> it's
> > useful for others.
>
> *smile*
>
> Yes, FTR, Windows support is in trunk, branch-2 and branch-2.1.
>
> Arun
>

> > --
> > Andrey Klochkov
>
> --