Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2005/10/28 21:00:36 UTC

Weekly conference call - thoughts

I was thinking that it might be worthwhile to have a regular weekly conference
call for those on the dev list.  It would not be mandatory at all but we could
all put it on our calendars and use it as a time to talk over issues rather than
rely totally on e-mail.  We'd get someone to take notes and post them to the dev
list and solicit agenda items from there as well.

I'll look into how we could do this and what the cost issues are.  I was
thinking something like Thursdays at noon EST (most favorable to cover those
that might be interested from Europe).

Thoughts on the idea, frequency, etc.

Cheers,

Matt

Re: Weekly conference call - thoughts

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.
Jeff Genender wrote:
> I have to say I am opposed as well.  IMHO a telecon is not fair to those
> who live in places where the time is not convenient.  There are also
> folks who are contributors who may not be able to engage in a such a
> call because their jobs do not allow them to take part (rules using
> phones, job duties, etc).
>
> Although this may be an additional way to communicate with the
> community, many folks may not have the opportunity to participate, and I
> am not sure that it is community oriented.

Jeff, your right, conference calls are not community oriented, and that's the main problem, imho. Apache !=
Eclipse and you'll find most folks in the Apache community would agree.

ApacheCon is coming up in december; that's a great opportunity to host a f2f hack-a-thon. You'll get a little
bit done but build some very good working relationships going forward. Once you meet someone face to face,
it's a bit more difficult to forget there's a real person behind the keyboard and that tends to make on-list
interactions a bit more civil.

> With our lists, there is no
> barrier to engaging and contribution.
>
> Just my .02.

+1

> Jeff

Bill

Re: Weekly conference call - thoughts

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.
I have to say I am opposed as well.  IMHO a telecon is not fair to those
who live in places where the time is not convenient.  There are also
folks who are contributors who may not be able to engage in a such a
call because their jobs do not allow them to take part (rules using
phones, job duties, etc).

Although this may be an additional way to communicate with the
community, many folks may not have the opportunity to participate, and I
am not sure that it is community oriented.  With our lists, there is no

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Oct 29, 2005, at 4:54 PM, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>

>> I think I was the only one strongly opposed, and I was
>> expressing my opinion based on experience.  Anything that
>> excludes people as a matter of principle isn't good.  I
>> think making it an institutional thing is a really bad
>> idea.  If everyone else thinks it's grand, go ahead --
>> but review occasionally to make sure everyone still
>> feels that way as new people join the list. :-)
>>

> Argh.  It's been pointed out to me that I'm coming
> across as a +5 blanket of wetness.  Please accept
> my apologies.  It's something I feel strongly about,
> so I'm expressing myself strongly -- but I'm just one person.

I don't want to sound patronizing, but that's a really impressive
response.

I've always found it really hard to separate information into what I
call the three "P"s of Apache: Policy, Precedent, Preference.
Answers like this really help.  Plus, I think it's healthy to
encourage a certain amount of experimentation when trying to feel
your way around the community.  Just cause something didn't work for
someone else, doesn't mean it won't work for anyone.  If it doesn't,
there is a certain value to learning things first-hand.

I know you're not advocating, but I appreciate the rope :)

-David

Re: Weekly conference call - thoughts

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Weekly conference call - thoughts

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Weekly conference call - thoughts

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Fair enough...I'm travelling this week and will be spotty on my own e-mail.
I'll let it bake and do some research in the interim.

I understand the issue of excluding folks and the idea of the call was
definitely no intended to do that.  The nice thing is we have people all over
the world doing development and that is one huge drawback of conference calls.

Let's see what bakes :)

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Weekly conference call - thoughts

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
I love an e-mail that elicites opinions :)

Ok, I give.  I personally hate typing and was looking for an alternative for
folks.  Sounds like there is moderate interest and strong disdain so I'll
withdraw the proposal.

Perhaps this proposal is a bit like the fireswamp.

- Matt

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Re: Weekly conference call - thoughts

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Oct 28, 2005, at 1:29 PM, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>
>> I was thinking that it might be worthwhile to have a regular weekly
>> conference call for those on the dev list.  It would not be
>> mandatory at
>> all but we could all put it on our calendars and use it as a time to
>> talk over issues rather than rely totally on e-mail.  We'd get
>> someone
>> to take notes and post them to the dev list and solicit agenda items
>> from there as well.
>>

> A very strong -1.  This discriminates against and disenfranchises
> those who can't make it for whatever reason, not least those in
> timezones far removed from the majority.  And it leaves no trace
> other than hearsay.
>
> IRC is frowned upon as a formal discussion mechanism for the
> same reason, although it's easier to log.  Nevertheless,
> discussions about development are supposed to happen in the
> wide-open, where other developers *and non-developers* can
> see them now and in the future.  I.e., email.
>
> This has come up repeatedly in the last several years, and
> the conclusion has always been the same: the convenience
> of the few never dominates the visibility to the many.
>
> There are exceptional circumstances, such as the ApacheCon
> hackathons, but they a infrequent and the attendees are
> typically expected to recap any proposals in front of the
> mailing list before anything happens.
>
> As an occasional way to get through a lot quickly it's
> acceptable; as an institutionalised medium, -1.

Seems fair, IMHO.  Not a real big fan of being on con-calls any kind,
so I'm biased....

If we had two or three (with minutes posted to dev@) in the weeks
leading up to the big 1.0 we want to get out by ApacheCon and didn't
use that crutch again for a long while, certainly not as a regular
release practice, would that kind of fit the pragmatic profile?

If not, I'm happy to let it drop.

-David

Re: Weekly conference call - thoughts

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Weekly conference call - thoughts

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Wonder what it would take archive those calls if need be.
 Cheers
Prasad

Posted by Barry van Someren <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.