Posted to openrelevance-dev@lucene.apache.org by Omar Alonso <or...@yahoo.com> on 2010/10/05 19:20:48 UTC

Re: Open Revelance Technical Design Question

Binary relevance assessments (yes/no) was done in the early days. Now, most of the experiments are using some sort of "graded" relevance:

- Relevant, somewhat relevant, not relevant
- Likert scale: strongly disagree, disagree, neither agree nor disagree, agree, strongly agree
- Numeric range: 1 to 5 (1=irrelevant, 5=excellent). 1 to 10 works as well.

I personally like the numeric range and not so much the labels. Labels can be very confusing.

o.

Posted by Dan Cardin <dc...@gmail.com>.
Grant,

Thanks for the input on scoring the result set returned as a whole.

Would it be best to to have the following scoring system
0 - Not relevant
0 > X < 1 Some relevance. The granularity labels would be settable via
configuration and could be optional.
1 - Relevant

Cheers,
--Dan