Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> on 2016/09/24 10:17:21 UTC

Preliminary NetBeans cost findings (was: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans Incubator Proposal)

Hi folks,

I've been going over the requirements for NetBeans infrastructure, it's
ballpark costs, bandwidth, machines needed and so forth, and the cliff
notes are as follows:

- 40-50TB/month in traffic required (mostly downloads+plugins)
- 8-13 machines/VMS are required
- Ballpark hardware costs are between $3k and $10k per year, depending
  on how much we can move to existing infrastructure and how close we
  come to the original setup. The most likely figure we are working with
  is $4.9k, but we should be prepared for a larger cost, just in case.
- The maintenance will be split between infra (downloads, web site, CI,
  new build machines) and the project (services, plugins, statistics),
  which will undoubtedly incur additional costs in terms of infra time
  spent on this, possibly to the tune of $10-20k in the initial phase.

Certain services like the plugins hosting will rely on Legal giving the
go-ahead for it, otherwise we'll have to find other people willing to
host this.

Other items like downloads may be offset by CDN providers offering their
assistance, but we should be prepared for this not being the case from
the beginning, thus the 40-50TB/month. Likewise, some machine costs
may be offset by cloud providers offering services for free.

Thus, I would submit to the IPMC that they consider asking the board for
a budget of roughly $10k per year for the NetBeans project, as well as
the additional time required of Infrastructure to implement this into
the existing ASF infra. As we may be able to pool resources and utilize
the new hardware for multiple projects, the cost may go down in the
coming years, but this is the baseline I suggest we consider when
approving NetBeans as a new podling.

With regards,
Daniel.

Re: Reuse Maven repository more was: Preliminary NetBeans cost findings

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 5:13 AM, Jaroslav Tulach
<ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There are also the [3rd party binaries used during NetBeans build](http://
> hg.netbeans.org/binaries/) - most of them available from Maven central. I
> already [created a patch](http://hg.netbeans.org/releases/rev/3178d0a561c8) to
> allow such download and it seems to work.

Depends on the license. That should certainly do for GPL'ed artifacts.
I don't foresee cases like Oracle JDBC Drivers, or the like.

Jochen

Re: Reuse Maven repository more

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Friday 30 September 2016, Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> 28. 9. 2016 v 11:25, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com <javascript:;>>:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 10:13 PM, Jaroslav Tulach <
> jaroslav.tulach@gmail.com <javascript:;>
> >> wrote:
> >
> >> One idea that keeps puzzling in my mind is to reuse central Maven
> >> repository
> >> more than we used to. If I understand correctly while the Maven central
> is
> >> operated by Sonatype, it is just "leased" to them and still oversight by
> >> Apache.
> >

> > Not so much. We license the "Apache Maven" trademark to them, to provide
> > fantastic service to the Maven community. But Maven Central is *all*
> > Sonatype, and the ASF generally just provides oversight over trademark
> use
> > (rather than operation).
> >
> > To state things another way: the ASF has zero control over what goes onto
> > their platform. Shoot, we have a copy of the software which runs Maven
> > Central, but it is proprietary and we merely hold a license to run it.
> This
> > isn't pillows and unicorns. You will need to make a business case with
> > Sonatype to include stuff beyond artifacts that Apache Maven can consume
> > from their repository.
> >
> > (that is my reasonably-informed understanding; a discussion with Sonatype
> > and the Apache Maven PMC is your best bet)

Not quite true.

Sonatype is running the active hosting of central, but there are
full mirrors of the content that are kept live (modulo a few hours for some
to a few days/weeks for others).

The URL that maven distos now point to is an apache.org URL rather than the
maven.org URL. If there were an issue with the current sonatype provided
service, we *could* switch to the apache mirror hosting on and change the
DNS entry.

The value sonatype currently provides is the artifact on-ramp (aside from
covering the bandwidth charges)

Previously there was a long complex set of rsync rules to pull content from
various sources. That has by and large been replaced by Sonatype Nexus and
some Mexus federation "magic".

We probably could get Artifactory to a place where it could perform the
same functionality but currently there is a gap...

Having said that, I think we are happy with the Sonatype service.

> Thanks Greg for your answer.
>
> On one side of my proposal is cost control for Apache foundation. By
> reusing infrastructure that already exists and is (has to be as the
> trademark is owned by the foundation) friendly, we can eliminate the load
> for extra services (http://plugins.netbeans.org) NetBeans currently has.
> I don't think the increase of the load is going to be any significant - the
> amounts of downloads Apache Maven central has to handle is way bigger than
> NetBeans needs, I assume.

Yeah but you'd want to check with Sonatype before adding that load onto
Central first...

The internal copy of Nexus that hosts repository.apache.org is probably not
sized to handle the netbeans load. Rather it is sized to handle the
deployment be developers, occasional downloads by PMCs testing artifacts
being voted on and the sync to central.

> Simplification of the build infrastructure is the other goal. If we use
> only the bits on the Apache Maven central, then we don't need any special
> support infrastructure (http://hg.netbeans.org/binaries). That requires a
> bit of work, but again it could help Apache control the cost of adopting
> NetBeans.

For building netbeans, yes you want to go that route.

--
Sent from my phone

Re: Reuse Maven repository more

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 12:56 PM, Wade Chandler
<co...@wadechandler.com> wrote:
> ...more later when we get to an incubator...

+1

-Bertrand

Re: Reuse Maven repository more was: Preliminary NetBeans cost findings

Posted by Wade Chandler <co...@wadechandler.com>.
On Sep 28, 2016 5:55 AM, "Sven Reimers" <sv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2. Use Maven repository as storahe backend for the plugin portal, so that
> only the metadata is hosted at the portal not the module binaries..

I think the terminology here is key. A "storage backend" for plugins.n.o.
Thus the current UI continues to work for users who are not perhaps self
hosting their plugins or building them to mvn central. I think plugins.n.o
can then be changed to support artifact coordinates as well, then plugin
authors can register them in multiple ways, and one of them upload and the
other meta-data plus coordinates. It could be future wise an archive type
could be uploaded to house all that extra plugin information or may already
be in the plugin itself...outside of screen shots, then then portal could
take only coordinate references without a version and automatically
reference the various versions over time, and be mostly automatic. We could
even drive more of this from DOAP registration (an Apache thing for those
who don't know) https://projects.apache.org/doap.html. Anyways, more later
when we get to an incubator.

Thanks

Wade

Re: Reuse Maven repository more was: Preliminary NetBeans cost findings

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

if I understood Jaroslav correct he is proposing two changes

1. Download 3rd party binaries needed to build NetBeans from a maven
repository  (maven central, jcenter or if you behinf corporate firewalls a
synced self hosted repo using nexus or artifactory)

2. Use Maven repository as storahe backend for the plugin portal, so that
only the metadata is hosted at the portal not the module binaries..

Both ideas seem to be really good enhancements to the way this works now!

Thanks Jaroslav for the great idea and support

Sven

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
This would be brilliant. Make it happen!

Gj

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
On sobota 24. září 2016 12:17:21 CEST, Daniel Gruno wrote:
> Certain services like the plugins hosting will rely on Legal giving the
> go-ahead for it, otherwise we'll have to find other people willing to
> host this.

Hi.

Re: Preliminary NetBeans cost findings

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 2:27 PM Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.invalid>
wrote:

> +1
>
> This is almsot a worst case calculation.
> I too think that we will be able to cut down costs seriously as we do not
> need 10 servers anymore.
>
> E.g. we can share the OSX box with OpenOffice, the GIT repo will get cut
> down and the traffic is mostly offloaded to github.

Last I heard, the OS X box had been decommissioned.  There is no OS X
builds for AOO at this time.

> We might be able to offload the plugins hosting to Maven.central and/or
> Bintray, etc

Please check our notes vs what Geertjan has proposed.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
+1

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: Preliminary NetBeans cost findings (was: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans Incubator Proposal)

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
I never said comparative use.
---
Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 5:45 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:

> What I'm saying is that to make a case for extra budget there needs to be
> solid justification that  a move to ASF will help the community grow.

This is the first I've heard of this.

My one data point is http://pages.zeroturnaround.com/RebelLabs-Developer-
> Productivity-Report-2016.html?utm_source=rebellabs_allreports&utm_medium=
> rebellabs&utm_campaign=rebellabs (requires sign in). That reports shows a
> decline from 14% in 2012 to 10% today. To be fair that has been steady
> since 2014.

Here's my thoughts on that survey:
https://blogs.oracle.com/geertjan/entry/adding_some_color_to_the

 If my data (limited to the above single data point) is
> inaccurate/invalid/not representative then you should have no problem
> providing evidence to the contrary when you ask for this budget.

In all fairness, it's simply impossible to prove the comparative usage of
one development tool over another.

I'm also concerned that this is a discussion point at all in this context.

Thanks,

Geertjan

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Daniel,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

> My guess is that the first 6 months is the most expensive as it
> involves a lot of time from infrastructure to migrate resources or
> figure out alternatives. My guess is, based on Daniels estimate, that
> first year is 13-30k - each year thereafter is 3-10k per year in costs
> (whether those be monetary, staff time, or in-kind)
> Any service that we stand up and migrate I assume is staying forever
> or only growing larger.

The preliminary NetBeans cost findings cover monetary costs only. Staff
time is not covered. I am not sure what "in-kind" means, though it is not
covered either. I can definitely imagine that indeed there will (and has
already been, e.g., in the drawing up of the preliminary cost findings) be
staff time costs, i.e., from Apache infra side, in moving NetBeans to
Apache.

The preliminary NetBeans cost findings have determined that of the existing
NetBeans services, the ones that carry a monetary burden for Apache are (1)
plugins.netbeans.org, which will not be going to Apache, (2)
statistics.netbeans.org, which will not be going to Apache, and (3) the
MacOS build machines. In fact, the cost findings clearly estimate that only
the MacOS build machines will be a cost factor for Apache.

Gj

Gj

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 9:11 PM, Ate Douma wrote:

If can send out the vote mail in about an hour or so if everyone is OK.

Bottom line -- we've discussed a lot already and we'll be discussing a lot
more during incubation.

The NetBeans community is large and diverse. Some might have less of an
understanding of this process and its consequences than others.

That is not a problem because any services and any assumptions that Apache
is unable to meet can be carried by one or more organizations -- after due
discussion and legal handling etc with Apache -- from which one or more
individual contributors will come into Apache NetBeans.

There is a lot at stake on both ends, I think -- i.e., at the end of this
process Apache gets the NetBeans codebase, domains, trademarks, and
everything else. On the other end, NetBeans gets the home its always
wanted. It's a completely equal match and will work out for everyone to the
benefit of all.

There are several precarious sliding pieces though the end goal will unite
everything.

Gj

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
I'm very OK with starting the vote. I'd recommend leaving this to the
Apache community as much as possible, everyone from NetBeans is extremely
positive about all this so let's be reticent in this specific process, and
enable the Apache community to work through all this. That would be my
advise at this point.

Gj

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 6:12 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
I think for a lot of (NetBeans) folks lurking in these threads, it will be
useful to know what voting means, who can vote, what 'binding votes' are,
etc etc. From the NetBeans side of things, we're a large community and lots
of us are following all this and maybe someone can point us Apache newbies
to the precise context in which we're currently finding ourselves in right
now.

Gj

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
+1
Ate

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
+1

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 2:06 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> Sooo.... does anyone feel that this needs to wait longer before starting a
> vote?..

I'm +1 for starting the vote.

-Bertrand

Re: Preliminary NetBeans cost findings

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Sooo.... does anyone feel that this needs to wait longer before starting a
vote?

John

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
I see moving plugins.netbeans.org out of Oracle control as being a
graduation goal, not a start incubation goal.

John

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 1:28 PM Geertjan Wielenga <

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 4:40 PM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 1:52 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
>> <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> ...my suggestion is for infra (David or Greg) to give us their ok to
>>> proceed with the vote...
>
>> ...The Office of the President doesn't have any oversight over PMCs, so
>> strictly speaking the IPMC can proceed with this however it likes on
>> whatever timetable it sees fit...
>
> My intention as the NetBeans champion is to be collaborative, so even
> though you guys have no formal power w.r.t voting the podling in I
> think it's worth agreeing on how we proceed.

Yep, my paragraph was primarily directed at those who are new and
might confuse titles with authority.

>> ...With my VP Infra/member/IPMC member hats on, I'd prefer seeing the
>> plan for plugins.nb.o in place before you consider this....
>
> I see two options then:
>
> a) We don't vote on the NetBeans proposal until the current NetBeans
> team + mentors have worked with infra (on this list I assume) on a
> plan for plugins.netbeans.org once NetBeans moves to the ASF. I
> suspect this can easily take two weeks.

This is my personal leaning, I am sure Greg and Daniel can help
provide attention in sussing out potential issues.

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
On úterý 27. září 2016 11:27:29 CEST, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 6:19 PM, Geertjan Wielenga
>
> <ge...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > ...Together with Bertrand and the organizations volunteering to
> > host this service, we'll need to find terms of agreement -- which I think
> > we should try to model on those of Sonatype in relation to Apache Maven...
>
> As Mark suggested earlier there's also the option to distribute the
> binaries via Maven Central and the much smaller metadata via the
> Apache mirroring system. This would require no changes to existing
> agreements, assuming the extra load is acceptable for Maven Central.

I see. My previous email is then at least 17 hours too late. I beg your
pardon.
-jt

Re: Preliminary NetBeans cost findings

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
PS: GitHub may be an option too, though right now we're working with two or
three different organizations, to see which would be the best home for
plugins.netbeans.org.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Yup. For sure. Together with Bertrand and the organizations volunteering to

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 5:04 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 5:57 AM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:
>> ...My guess is, based on Daniels estimate, that
>> first year is 13-30k - each year thereafter is 3-10k per year in costs..
>
> Are these estimates sufficient for our infra team to give us their ok
> to proceed with the NetBeans vote, or do you guys need more time?
>
> I'm asking because
>
> a) discussions about the current proposal are currently going into all
> kinds of side tracks which are not really useful as far as informing
> the NetBeans vote decision, IMO
>
> and b) as it's the first time we do such an assessment for an incoming
> podling, IMO we shouldn't make NetBeans wait more than strictly
> needed, while we refine this costing thing internally.
>
> So my suggestion is for infra (David or Greg) to give us their ok to
> proceed with the vote if you guys agree, and sort out the (important)
> budget details internally in parallel.

The Office of the President doesn't have any oversight over PMCs, so
strictly speaking the IPMC can proceed with this however it likes on
whatever timetable it sees fit. However, please don't be surprised
if/when we deny requests to Infrastructure because they exceed what we
have available in time/staff/money; we're also likely to push a number
of tasks down to the podling itself.

With my VP Infra/member/IPMC member hats on, I'd prefer seeing the
plan for plugins.nb.o in place before you consider this. As Greg said
elsewhere, I don't think that piece can be ignored - it's vital to the
community, and any agreement would need to be formally agreed to by
the foundation (similar to the contract we have with Sonatype) if the
project moved here. I'd also point out the comments from Ross to the
IPMC about budget and get that squared away before you proceed.

--David

Re: Preliminary NetBeans cost findings

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
Daniel, this is excellent. Thank you. When we brought AOO in we offset some costs, such as bandwidth, through our arrangement with SourceForge. Can we do the same here? (I imagine this has already been discussed, I'm behind of those threads, I'm just looking for a short summary).

Shane, if the project continues at the current scale then the costs below continue indefinitely. If it grows/shrinks many of the costs grow/shrink with it (e.g. Bandwidth) others will remain constant (e.g. Build farms)

---
Excellent cliff notes, and I'm really glad to see us surfacing the
issues - and costs - of incubating such a large podling.

Question: do you have a rough forecast of how long this expense/extra
infra burden will last? I.e. is this likely something we'll bear for
3-4 years and then we'll have migrated everything to a better home, or
is this a long-term cost due to how big it all is?

- Shane

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Sep 25, 2016 01:18, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >  E.g., no forums in Apache, for example.
>
> A mailing list can be mirrored to a nibble forum if it helps [1] I know
of several projects who do that.

The asf has a service - lists.apache.org -which does exactly this.
Automatically. For every project.  Running an additional service for this
is unnecessary extra work/expense.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Geertjan Wielenga wrote on 9/25/16 6:05 PM:
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 11:58 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>

>> Having a third party run a service under an Apache brand requires working
>> with VP Brand.
>

> Indeed, this is something we're going to need to do. I.e., there will be
> existing NetBeans services that Apache will not be hosting. The clearest
> case of this will be plugins.netbeans.org. That is a service that one or
> more individual contributors will take on, making use of the infrastructure
> of an organization they work for.

These are all solvable questions, but the podling will need to work
closely with your mentors and others at the ASF to ensure they're done
in a way that still allows the future Apache NetBeans project to operate
fully independently of specific corporate influence.

  http://community.apache.org/projectIndependence.html

We don't need to go through the details on this discuss thread, but both
*who* will be hosting these specific services as well as *how* they're
portrayed to the world will be things the podling needs to track.

It needs to be clear that development decisions on the podling are done
by the individual committers doing the work on the podling.  We also
need to ensure that if any external provider decides to drop the
service, that we have some way to keep the committer community working
on the NetBeans code itself still moving forward.

From how the various NetBeans folks are describing things, this will be
complicated, but we should definitely be able to figure it all out
during the incubation process.  I'm also expecting that it will take
work on the image side to show the world that Oracle truly is giving up
control to the community, but again, it certainly sounds like you've got
the right people here to make that happen.

- Shane

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.
Greg wrote:

>Second big example is SourceForge.net hosting the AOO binaries.

If you are going to cite AOo as an example, then
http://templates.services.openoffice.org/ provides an example of how
easily things spin out of control,
when third parties take primary responsibility for distribution of
artefacts related to an Apache Software Project.

jonathon

Re: Preliminary NetBeans cost findings (was: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans Incubator Proposal)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 5:05 PM, Geertjan Wielenga <
geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com> wrote:

> scenario. I am sure other Apache projects have similar arrangements and
> this will not be new for Apache in any way.

Yeup. The most obvious example being repo.maven.apache.org pointing to
Maven Central, hosted by SonaType (in conjunction with / permission of the
Apache Maven PMC).

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Yes, excellent work and many thanks for the time taken on this, Daniel. For
anyone reading this -- do note that these are preliminary findings based on
the current infrastructure of NetBeans, which is going to be very different
under Apache, e.g., plugins.netbeans.org looks like it will be hosted
somewhere else by one of the companies involved in Apache NetBeans. The
question will be how much of the current NetBeans infrastructure will be
needed under Apache, which is something we can work on concretely during
incubation. Whatever costs have been identified in this phase can only in
the end be lower than the estimate, since we will have less in Apache than
we currently have in NetBeans. E.g., no forums in Apache, for example.

Gj

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.
Hi Wade,

first of all, don't worry too much at this point, having discussions and
trying to grasp the scope and what we get into is very normal at this
point.

more comments inline...

On 25.09.2016 05:03, Wade Chandler wrote:
[...]
>Do no other Apache projects have plugins or distribution needs?

* open office which actually gets helped here by sourceforge
* maven with maven central, which also not hosted at hte ASF
* ??

> Other than build servers, what can't be
> consolidated? What about monetary donations to projects or specific Apache
> line items? Has there been any such talk?

You can donate to the ASF, not a specific project.. unless the project
sets something up on its own.

> How many other OSS Java IDEs are their? Seem only 2 at the Eclipse and
> NetBeans level.

VS Code not? Sorry haven't really looked at it

> Having them both exist makes the entire ecosystem healthier
> in my opinion.

especially with hte bad mood towards eclipse these days

> It would be a shame to not have one of the real open source
> Java IDEs exist as an Apache project IMO.

It would be good to find a possible solution on the downloads. I mean
(Groovy project) do have most of our downloads outside ASF to save cost
(and to handle our somewhat complicated release logic) as well... and of
course Netbeans has even more downloads

bye Jochen

Re: Preliminary NetBeans cost findings

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 2016-09-25 17:45, Ross Gardler wrote:
> You seem to have taken my comment as an indication that I have concerns one
> way or the other. That is not the case.

> What I'm saying is that to make a
> case for extra budget there needs to be solid justification that  a move to
> ASF will help the community grow.

Ross, can you elaborate further on this?
Your statement is rather confusing and AFAIK such a justification has never
been put forward as a criteria for entering the ASF.

The fact that NetBeans might need extra budget clearly makes it different
than most other podlings, and as such it definitely requires extra attention.

If you mean: expected grow of more active committers and more diversity among
them, then that hardly looks like a problem to me.
If anything, that *is* one of the primary reasons to move to the ASF.

And while I agree with Geertjan that just looking at the Zeroturnaround
productivity report is not a proper nor realistic measurement, if anything
it shows there is still more than enough community using NetBeans today
that we should not have to worry about a lack of that at all.
I'd say on the contrary: it shows there is plenty to gain, and moving to
the ASF can (and IMO will) be a great help in that direction.

> The ASF is not a magic bullet, there needs
> to be a plan coming from the incoming project.
IMO the NetBeans proposal already provides the needed details for that plan.
Including sound reasoning why they (and I) think the move to the ASF will
benefit the project as well as the community.
Nor have I have seen one single argument to the contrary.

Regards, Ate

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
You seem to have taken my comment as an indication that I have concerns one way or the other. That is not the case. What I'm saying is that to make a case for extra budget there needs to be solid justification that  a move to ASF will help the community grow. The ASF is not a magic bullet, there needs to be a plan coming from the incoming project. The costings here are more than we usually get when a new podling is considered. This is a very good start.

The data I refer to is only one data point. If you have data that contradicts it then provide it in your request for funds (yes this has been discussed to some extent across the main discuss thread, but it needs to be packaged up nicely for VP Infra, Prez and finally Board to consider.

My one data point is http://pages.zeroturnaround.com/RebelLabs-Developer-Productivity-Report-2016.html?utm_source=rebellabs_allreports&utm_medium=rebellabs&utm_campaign=rebellabs (requires sign in). That reports shows a decline from 14% in 2012 to 10% today. To be fair that has been steady since 2014.

The reason for my explicit request is that the foundation is currently running at a significant deficit. That's not a problem since we have many years of cash in the bank at the current deficit. However, we do need to plan for the future. So any new budget requests need to be fully justified. That's all I'm asking for. A "just because" is not sufficient. Like you and others have said there needs to be evidence to back up claims, simply adopting the apache way does not mean that NetBeans will be successful as an Apache project. If my data (limited to the above single data point) is inaccurate/invalid/not representative then you should have no problem providing evidence to the contrary when you ask for this budget.

Posted by Wade Chandler <co...@wadechandler.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 4:08 AM, Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> alone could pull in ads the cost of infrastructure (although ASF might have
> a policy against ads, etc, etc)

We never run ads. Ever.

Just hang on a day or two, for us to *really* review these costs. Look at
Daniel's subject: "Preliminary". No need to get too hung up right now.

Thanks,
-g

RE: Preliminary NetBeans cost findings (was: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans Incubator Proposal)

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
I do not sign the check, but I am responsible for the budgets of the foundation. I'm not saying I would not consider such a request (and you could go straight to the board if I did). I'm saying a case needs to be made rather than a simple request for cash (see other mail).

As for the numbers, user numbers are irrelevant. If that were the metric of success for an open source project then Open Office would be thriving.

Ross

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
My last sentence below is too terse... I know NetBeans is a different project to AOO. I should not draw a direct comparis0on between the two projects. I hope we can avoid a long thread on how Net Beans is more attractive to developers than other end user projects. However, my more general point of user numbers not being a good indicator is remains.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.