Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net> on 2008/06/06 00:13:51 UTC

Output Folder eclipse-classes.. why?

Hi,

I wonder why the output folder for eclipse is set to eclipse-classes in
the parent pom file of camel. In my own projects I always leave the
setting on the standard.
So eclipse compiles normal classes to targe/classes and tests to
target/test-classes. I think the standard setting is better. This is
especially true if you combine eclipse and structure 101. With the
setting eclipse-classes I can not set structure 101 to take it´s info
form this directory as there are normal and test classes. So I always
need to run camel compile after a refactoring to see what changed in the
dependencies.

Greeetings

Chris

Re: Output Folder eclipse-classes.. why?

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.
I've always thought it was just so maven & eclipse don't confuse each
other... however, this site tells me the real reason:

"Eclipse produces .class files even for classes with compilation errors.
Such partially compiled classes may end up packaged into maven artifacts as
mvn considers them up-to-date."
From:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/M2ECLIPSE/Separate+Eclipse+and+Maven+output+folders

Obviously a VERY bad thing :)

Cheers,
Jon

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chirstian,

I don't like the mvn eclipse:eclipse  default setting for share the
target/classes and target/test-classes with eclipse.
If I run "mvn clean install" in the trunk , I need to refresh the  whole
workspace and  kick off a new building process in eclipse again, since
eclipse lost the original reference of the classes which delete by mvn
clean.

In you refactoring case, you could find the build errors just by
cleaning the whole projects in eclipse.
Again, when you do some work in the core module, please run mvn install
from root to make sure it will not broke any test in the other module.

Just my 2 cents :)

Willem