Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by vi...@oz.com on 2005/03/16 14:43:57 UTC

JMeter Consumming all Memory

Hi,

I've been trying to use JMeter to run load tests but it seems that no
matter what heap size I give it, it gradually uses up all memory and gets
bogged down in garbage collects.

I am using a series of HTTP Samplers to generate roughly 50 requests a
second (50 threads each generating 1 request a second). It will run
smoothly enough for 5 hours or so and then it will usually begin to become
unstable (requests taking longer and longer to complete, round trip times
spiking for no reason, etc...).

I have tried to extend the heap size but it just seems to delay the point
at which everything goes heywire.

Is it normal for JMeter to gradually use up all memory it has available?

The only settings I've played with in the jmeter.bat file are the heap
size and I've tried using one of the concurrent garbage collect schemes.

Any insight anyone might have would be very much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Vince

Re: JMeter Consumming all Memory

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
what listeners do you have in the test plan?

if you plan to run a test plan for longer than 30minutes, you should
use the simple listener to write the results to a file. If you use
view result tree or  any of the graphical listeners, it will
eventually run out of memory.

peter

Posted by "Nathan J. Mehl" <jm...@memory.blank.org>.
In the immortal words of vincent.lortie@oz.com (vincent.lortie@oz.com):

> I've been trying to use JMeter to run load tests but it seems that no
> matter what heap size I give it, it gradually uses up all memory and gets
> bogged down in garbage collects.

I've had very good luck tuning garbage collection with:

	-XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:+UseAdaptiveSizePolicy

N.B. that you'll need Java 1.4.2 or later to use ParallelGC, and my
understanding is that an SMP or SMT cpu setup helps a LOT.

That said, I've never run jmeter for 5 hours straight, so this may not
be at all applicable to your situation.

For what it's worth, I found this paper to be very useful reading:

	http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/gc1.4.2/

-n

--------------------------------------------------------------<me...@blank.org>
"Two crucial things in New York: Do the work and enjoy the town.  New York
furnishes vast pleasure to them what can hear the music and do the dance. They
may be from Wisconsin or Denmark or Japan, but they walk down the street and
it appeals to them, the hurly-burly and the eccentrics and the street musicians,
the aroma of pizza and chestnuts and hot dogs, the jangle of a dozen different
languages, the distant siren, the rumble of the subway, the pockets of grace
and elegance and the flash and hustle and the river of perspiring humanity.  A
person who knows how to make himself happy can do well in New York. Enjoying
the carnival is more important to your happiness than 'making it.' But do do
the work."                                                  (--Garrison Keillor)
<http://blank.org/memory/>------------------------------------------------------

Re: DNS round-robins and HTTP Request

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:39:44 -0500, Nathan J. Mehl
<jm...@memory.blank.org> wrote:

> A quick question:
>
> How does the HTTP Request sampler deal with multiple IP addresses
> being returned for the host it is being asked to query?  Does it pick
> an address from the roundrobin once per test, once per thread, once
> per thread iteration, or some other less obvious choice?

I imagine it uses whatever it is given by the underlying JVM and OS
... the sampler itself just creates the HTTPUrlConnection and uses
that.